五日

One Last Time: Chapter 5

Last Smile

————

Your mind went blank as panic rushed into your system. Mahito is still choking you and lifting you in the air. It's the painful seconds of your life.

After calming yourself down, you acted like you fainted from his hold.

It was a sight that made Nanami want to shout in agony, and in rage.

He was about to attack and rip Mahito's skin when you suddenly kicked the culprit's abdomen, which didn't really affect him, and stabbed his eyes in a swift move.

It was the first time you hurt someone like this and it made you feel terrified. But still, it made him let go from his hold of your neck.

You stumbled as you landed, and you tried your best to stay away from him. Nanami picked you and hugged you like there's no tomorrow.

While Mahito was screaming and feeling his eyes, Gojou chuckled at the sught of you two being a lovey dovey as usual. He went out first since he assumed that Nanami could take care of this.

But then, Mahito stopped screaming. Before they realized it, the cursed spirit started to lunge at Nanami with his arms aimed at his heart.

He could only widen his eyes as the dreaded scene he never imagined, happened.

You stood in front of him, smiling as tears trickled down from your eyes. You vomited blood as Mahito's hand hit your heart.

The culprit ran away to hide. A cowardly move from a cursed spirit who had just killed an innocent girl like you.

Nanami couldn't process what was happening. He tried to hit his head several times with his hands, hoping that this was all a dream or an imagination.

But it isn't.

You held his chin with your weak, almost cold hands. A smile, gentle and sweet, was plastered on your face as you mumbled those last 3 words before you succumbed to death.

I love you.

Nanami was so caught off guard that he didn't realize how he has been screaming and hurting his throat.

Help just got in the scene, but it was all too late.

In the end, their relationship wasn't perfect at all.

It never lasted long, and it was filled with unspoken regrets. It's been a year since you passed away, yet Nanami couldn't seem to forget how you smiled at him.

If only he could turn back the time, he'll promise to always include you in his schedule despite being busy.

He'd always sleep on your apartment just so he could wake up and the first thing he'd see will be your beautiful face.

If the heavens gave him a chance, he'd do everything to spend all the time with you, even just for one last time.

But this time, the plea wasn't heard.