V

~Taylor's POV~

I wake up to the car slowing down and pulling off on an exit. I'm very confused and I'm sure I look a mess.

"Where are we?" I say my voice still full of sleep.

"Omg hi silly you're awake," Karlie says with a smile. She pushes my hair out of my face while smiling. "You've been asleep for awhile now, we're in Pittsburg."

"Oh I'm sorry, I guess that means it's my time to drive.

"No need to be sorry," Karlie smiles. "But yes I was pulling off to get gas and so we can switch. I am exhausted!"

She stops at a gas station and we can see the skyline in the distance. Karlie gets out and starts to pump the gas, her strong arms visible in her tank top.

"I'm gonna go to the bathroom," I say.

"Wait for me! I have to go to!"

I do as Karlie says and after she's finished pumping the gas, we walk into the gas station together and go directly into the bathroom. There is only one stall.

"You go first, I'll wait," I say.

"No it's totally okay! You can come in I'll be quick," Karlie says in a friendly way.

I know she means nothing by it, after all literally all girls go to the bathroom with their best friends. It's just like a normal girl thing. But, the thought still makes me nervous. I can't figure out why I'm so goddamn nervous around this girl.

At the same time, awkward silence goes by and I can't think of anything to say, so I'm practically forced into the bathroom by Karlie's captivating smile. She goes to the bathroom and I just lean against the door on my phone, then I go and she washes her hands, and we're out of the bathroom in just a couple minutes.

Like I said, completely normal girl thing, but something about Karlie was really making my chest hurt, and I know it's so stupid to be anxious for no reason over my best friend.

We walk back to the car and I hop into the drivers side, and adjust my mirrors and seat. While I'm doing so, Karlie is grabbing snacks from the back.

"Do you want a snack, Tay?"

"No I'm okay for right now, but I may need one in a little bit."

                                             ~~~

We get in the road and the car is silent except for some soft music in the background. I'm focused on driving and Karlie is looking out the passenger side window when suddenly, I hear her weight shift. I then feel like her eyes are on me. I just know they are without looking over to her. I'm just expecting her to divert her gaze quickly but she doesn't, she keeps staring. I ignore it and keep my eyes on the road.

"You know Taylor, you really are beautiful," Karlie says while eyeing my side.

I'm so nervous for no reason once again. My awakened ness gets the best of me when I let out a small but forced chuckle.

"I'm not Kar, I'm literally in my pjs right now," I say while adjusting my thick framed glasses.

"You are Taylor. I just had to say it. The way the light was hitting you was too perfect not to say anything."

My heart flutters when I hear Karlie reinforce her previous statement. Something about the way her voice is deep but high at the same time, and sometimes a little raspy makes my heart jump out of my chest.

I look over to see the girls dimples in full effect as a small smile spreads across her face. I can't help but notice that she too, is beautiful. I don't say anything else, but I just keep my eyes on the road and let the silence fill the hole in my stomach. Any more comments from Karlie and I feel as if I may explode.

                                            ~~~

The rest of the drive goes pretty much the same way. We each drive for a couple hours, then switch. We drive through the night because we didn't want to stop in a hotel or anything. We were both so excited to get straight to our destination that we were able to stay up on the thought of just getting there.

Hours pass and we make small talk about normal girl things. The landscape, our houses, work, the weather. Nothing too vulnerable. We make it the whole drive just talking and even laughing while telling funny stories about our lives the past couple months. I really have missed Karlie since we've both been so busy.

The upbeat mood of the end of the drive gets even more exciting when we pull into a long driveway, and spot a huge sigh that reads "Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park" and we both screech in excitement.

"Let's stop and get a picture for the start of the trip!" Karlie says with a smile.

We park and car and get out to snap a few quick photos, then we get back in to drive to our campsite. I am so happy we finally made it, and can't wait to spend the next week with my best friend.

                —————————————————

                —————————————————

This chapter is a little boring, but I wanted to speed it up Bc shits gonna get REAL real real soon. Stay tuned :) comment if you're enjoying!