Chapter 6

Harry and Ron arrived at Transfiguration to find that Professor McGonagall had prepared a surprise theory test. All the desks had been separated and arranged in rows, so no one could see anyone else's work. Hermione had arrived before them and was fussing excitedly, but the rest of the class looked rather glum.

They took seats next to each other, and Harry looked dolefully at the blank parchment on his desk. Today had looked like it was going to be a good day, but now he wasn't so sure. He had his mind made up for him a moment later when Professor McGonagall addressed the class.

'As you know I do not usually set surprise tests, but I have been unexpectedly called upon to invigilate a seventh year mock exam. I think it would be as well to use the time assessing how much you have absorbed so far on the Theory of Dematerialization. I will leave you in the capable hands of Professor Snape, who has kindly offered to supervise.'

'Oh, it just gets better and better,' muttered Ron. Harry made a face in agreement.

At that moment the door opened and Malfoy swept in. He looked no healthier but he seemed to bear a fierce sort of determination. He met no-one's eyes as he walked to an empty seat behind Harry and sat down without a word.

Snape made no comment about Malfoy's timekeeping, instead glaring at Harry and Ron as he explained that the classroom was equipped with cheating-detector spells.

'Unless you want alarms and flashing lights giving you away I suggest you keep your eyes on your own parchment and don't attempt to use an enchanted quill. You have an hour and a half. Begin now.'

Harry looked down as words began to form on his parchment.

'With reference to Magical Energy Units, explain, with diagrams, how you would determine the wand movement required to dematerialise an ice cube'.

He sighed with relief. Thanks to his extra tuition from Hermione, he usually had no difficulty with applied Arithmancy in Transfiguration problems.

He began to write. Gradually it all came back to him and he began to feel more confident. He scribbled faster, struggling to get every thought down before it disappeared out of his head.

'...(x-y) + (zp)2 = s, where s is the speed of wand movement, x is the length of wand...'

Disaster struck. In his enthusiasm Harry pressed too hard and snapped the point off his quill. He managed to hold it over the ink bottle in time to prevent ink gushing out all over his test paper, but he realised with a sinking feeling that he didn't have a spare quill. All his spares were in his bag, and Snape had made everyone banish their bags to the side of the room so that they couldn't sneak a look at their books. There was nothing for it, he'd have to ask Snape if he could get another one. Hermione had already put up her hand twice to ask for more paper, so maybe he'd be reasonable. Harry stuck his hand up.

Snape didn't look up from the book he was reading. Harry cleared his throat loudly, but Snape seemed determined to ignore him.

Harry was just about to risk speaking up when he felt something running up the back of his neck and he nearly leapt out of his seat. He frantically brushed at the back of his neck and his hair, expecting a beetle or spider to drop to the floor.

As he looked down he caught sight of Malfoy at the desk behind him, watching him with amusement. Harry was just about to retort with a rude gesture when Malfoy reached out and tickled his arm with the end of an elegant swan feather quill. He then held out the quill for Harry to take.

Harry was stunned. He shot a suspicious look at Malfoy, who looked back with a smile. A smile?!! Not a smirk, or a sneer, or even a mischievous grin, but a warm, slightly shy smile.