Chapter 15

Draco muddled through the rest of his classes that day in a daze. Telling the truth to Dumbledore hadn't been nearly as hard as he expected it to be; in fact it had been rather anti-climactic. Now that it was done he felt slightly detached from reality, and wondered if perhaps it hadn't happened at all. After recent events it would hardly have been surprising if he lost the ability to distinguish between reality and dreams.

After morning classes he returned to his dormitory with his father's letter. Before he had left the Headmaster's office, Dumbledore had advised him to re-encrypt it as his father instructed. He had also suggested keeping quiet about his change of faith until it was absolutely necessary to tell his father. Revealing it too soon would only put himself at risk, as well as Harry.

And that was another problem...Harry. He, Draco, was to tell Harry about the plan to abduct him. He wasn't sure how to go about that. He and Harry hadn't spoken to each other since the day of the Transfiguration test. He wasn't even sure how to address him any more. In reality, he'd never called him anything but 'Potter', but after the dreams that seemed stupidly hostile.

As he made his way to Charms he agonised over what he was going to say. He had still got no further than what to call him when he spotted the Gryffindor trio heading towards him from the Defence Against the Dark Arts corridor. He stopped and doubled back, taking the longer route to the Charms classroom. He needed to have his speech worked out before confronting Harry directly.

Arriving at Professor Flitwick's class, he took a seat at the back, as far from Harry as possible. He took notes on the theory of vocal charms without really taking any of it in - he was too busy wondering how to get Harry on his own. It would be a miracle if Harry listened to him - there was no way Granger and Weasley would.

He was just considering the possibility of cornering him after Quidditch practice when he was startled by the arrival of a small, battered teddy bear on his desk. Finnigan had apparently deposited it there from a large box he was carrying along the row. Draco looked around - everyone seemed to have a bear, or a toy soldier, or in Goyle's case, a 'Magical Mindy' doll.

'What are we supposed to do with these?' he whispered to Blaise, who was taking the clothes off Goyle's doll to see if she was anatomically correct.

'Make them talk,' he muttered. 'Oh, no! Look - she's been sewn into her underwear. Does anyone know a quick severing spell?'

Draco listened to Professor Flitwick for a moment. Apparently when learning to charm objects into talking it was best to start with objects that have faces. It was something to do with it being easier to visualise.

Gradually the class became alive with activity. Wands were swished, incantations were murmured, and before long Granger's bear said, 'I want to be your friend,' in a saccharine tone.

Draco made a face. He prodded his bear with his wand and muttered the spell without much enthusiasm. The bear discharged a stream of profanity, belched loudly, then relapsed into silence. It stubbornly refused to say another word all lesson. Draco sighed. He wasn't having much luck with Charms these days.

**********************************************************************

That evening Draco lurked behind the Quidditch changing rooms after the Gryffindor team practice, waiting for Harry. When he finally emerged, Ron Weasley was with him. Draco shrank back in the shadows and cursed the day they made Weasley the Gryffindor Keeper. He followed at a distance as Harry and Ron made their way back to the castle, but they were clearly on their way back to Gryffindor Tower for the night.

Draco slunk off to Slytherin, resigned to the fact that he'd have to wait until the next day to speak to Harry.

He stopped in his tracks outside the common room. What am I thinking? He chastised himself silently. I don't have to wait until tomorrow - I can talk to Harry alone whenever I want. I just have to wait until he's asleep!