Chapter 13

The low hum of sleepy voices in the Great Hall was interrupted, as usual, by the flapping of hundreds of wings. The post was early- it had been a dry, calm night and the owls had had easy journeys. All around the Hall, parcels and letters dropped onto the tables as the birds swooped and flapped away. There was a moment's entertainment when a Hufflepuff fourth-year received a Howler for forgetting her grandfather's birthday, and then all was quiet once again.

Draco stared at the thick cream envelope that had landed in his lap. The address was written in elegant, confident handwriting which he would have recognised anywhere. If that hadn't been enough to identify the sender, the wax seal bearing the Malfoy crest would have settled the matter.

He'd been so preoccupied lately, battling with his new feelings for Harry Potter, that he had almost forgotten about the battle still to come; the inevitable conflict which would occur as soon as he announced his change of faith to his father.

Pansy leaned across the table and peered at the letter. "Is that from your father, Draco?" she asked, bright-eyed and blushing. "What does it say? Open it. Does he mention me?"

Draco scowled and turned away from her. There was something decidedly grotesque about his ex-girlfriend having a crush on his father. He broke the seal and tentatively pulled out the letter. Shaking it open, he began to read.

Malfoy Manor

Wiltshire

23rd October 1996

Dear Draco

I hope you are well and that your studies are progressing satisfactorily. I understand from my acquaintance, Severus Snape, that your work in Potions continues to meet the high standards that are to be expected of a Malfoy. For this you are to be commended.

Unfortunately it has also reached my ears that once again you failed to conquer the Gryffindor team at Quidditch. I felt certain that the extra training you received over the summer would ensure a Slytherin victory. You must be very disappointed. (He means, "I am very disappointed,"thought Draco bitterly.)

Your mother sends her love. She hopes, as I do, that you will reconsider your decision to remain at school for the Christmas holidays. We have arranged a number of functions at the Manor, and our guests would be disappointed to find you absent. (Draco wrinkled his nose. By "guests" his father meant "eligible rich pureblood virgins," there was no doubt about that.)

Do continue to invest every effort in your studies. Academic excellence may not be necessary to ensure your comfortable future, as it is for some. But it would not be acceptable to allow any half-blood or Muggle-born students to outperform you.

Look after your health and stay out of trouble,

Your affectionate father,

Lucius Malfoy

PS. Write to your mother soon. She misses you.

Draco continued to stare at the letter with a sinking feeling, long after he had finished reading. It was not the thinly-disguised command to return home for Christmas which disturbed him, it was the seemingly innocuous postscript. His father didn't agree with postscripts; he felt that they were a sign of a poorly organised mind.

He made his excuses and left the table, returning to his dorm to read the letter again. There was more to it than met the eye, he was sure of that.

Sinking onto his bed, he pulled his wand out from his robes and twirled it between his fingers, frowning. When he was fourteen his father had told him about a spell that his great-grandfather had invented. It was a revealing enchantment, and it had been kept in the family ever since, like a jealously guarded recipe for Christmas cake. The spell would reveal hidden messages, but only if they had been written by another Malfoy. Lucius had made him memorise the incantation, but he had never used it. He had a feeling that he was about to find out what it was for.