Chapter 7: Amortentia

Warning: mild swearing

Word Count: ~ 2.800

______________________________________________________________

"... which is why, to the unbeknownst, this potion is particularly hard to detect."

Lizzie found it hard to follow Professor Snape's lecture. Today's class was about potions most commonly used for drugging unsuspecting people. Under normal circumstances, Lizzie enjoyed lessons like these, where they were getting to know some real-world applications of the things they were learning at school. She had been looking forward to this class for days.

Snape was currently explaining the effects of the contents of the golden cauldron in front of him. As if the class huddled around it wasn't acutely aware of what this potion was meant to do. The bubbling, mother-of-pearl coloured liquid illuminated the stuffy classroom with a soft light, emitting the loveliest fragrances imaginable. Lizzie constantly had to reign her wandering mind in.

While Snape was droning on about the ingredients of Amortentia, all she could do was to dream about the distinct smell of a summer evening after a thunderstorm and the wax she used for grooming her broomstick. Another scent was hinted at in the bouquet, something fresh but also spicy and woody at the same time, a bit like incense. It reminded her of Quidditch matches, but she couldn't quite put her finger on it.

She nudged Rowan, who was standing next to her. "What does it smell like to you?"

Rowan tore herself away from her notes, staring dreamily into the distance. "Parchment and the library. Such a lovely smell..." Her voice trailed off, too enamoured with her daydreams to even ask about the scents Lizzie apparently loved the most.

Lizzie turned to Skye, standing on her other side. "What about you?"

But Skye wasn't listening to her. She was staring at the cauldron intensely. Snape was explaining something about the procedure of sourcing the ingredients and Penny, attentive as always, was hanging onto his every word, diligently scribbling down the information given to her.

A soft, giddy laugh escaped Lizzie. The fumes emanating from the cauldron mixed with the heat of the many fires burning in the classroom were starting to get to her head.

"Earth calling Skye? You still with us?" She poked her into her ribcage.

"What is it, Jameson, I'm trying to concentrate here!" Annoyed with Lizzies constant prodding, she had raised her voice a little bit too much. Professor Snape fell silent, giving the two girls the most chiding stare, as the heads of their classmates spun around to face them.

"I take it, Jameson and Parkin object? Do you have anything to add?" His voice was freezing.

"No, Professor," Lizzie and Skye replied in unison, both looking utterly embarrassed.

"Excellent." He brusquely jerked his head to where Penny stood next to him. "Parkin, get over here and take a leaf out of Haywood's book on how to be attentive. Jameson, one more word from you and it will cost you house points."

He abruptly turned around and continued his monologue while Skye shuffled through the crowd towards the front of the class.

Rowan tapped Lizzie's shoulder. "What was that about? Was she actually paying attention for once?"

Lizzie shrugged. All of her friends seemed to be out of their mind lately. "I don't know. She has been in kind of a strange mood for some time now."

Rowan opened her mouth to reply but Snape's sharp voice cut her off, brimming with ice cold rage.

"Khanna, Jameson! Your memory seems rather short-lived. Five points from Hufflepuff each. Next time, it'll be five points per word. Now, everyone pair up and examine the consistency of Amortentia one couple at a time. No shoving, no mindless chattering." He directed his last words explicitly at Lizzie and Rowan. Rowan pushed her glasses up her nose, looking mortified for losing House points, as a prefect, nonetheless.