Chapter 24: A Question of Harmony

When Lizzie arrived at the Great Hall, it had already started emptying. The Hufflepuff table was still full and Lizzie could see a lot of her housemates looking as tired as she was. Most of the older students were staring at their plates with blank expressions.

The light filtering down from the enchanted ceiling was awfully bright, mirroring the sunny spring day outside. Usually, the prospect of sun and warmth would have made Lizzie buzzing with energy but today she wouldn't have said no to a gloomy day full of rain. All she wanted to do was curl up under her blanket and not come out again for the rest of the day.

Rowan and Penny sat apart from their usual friend group today; Rowan was talking to Penny, looking rather pale, furiously stirring her bowl of porridge. The blond girl sat next to her with a sorrowful expression, nodding from time to time.

Bracing herself, Lizzie started off in their direction.

Penny noticed her first, nudging Rowan to make her aware. Judging by the contemptuous look her best friend gave her, Lizzie could as well have been dirt under her shoe. Before she could even reach them though, Rowan got off her seat and stalked out of the Great Hall without gracing her with so much as another glance. Penny quickly trailed behind, an awkward mixture of incredulity and discomfort in her eyes.

Lizzie's shoulders slumped; she had hoped to be able to talk things out with Rowan as soon as possible, but apparently she wouldn't get out of this as easily. Doing her best to remain composed, she passed the now empty seats of her friends until she reached the head of the table where Orion, Murphy and KC were sat. The Houses weren't usually allowed to mix, but more often than not, the teachers were willing to let them mingle during the weekends.

Lizzie was glad for the Ravenclaw's company; for one part, sitting with Orion and Murphy on her own would have felt awkward, but another perk that came with KC's presence was currently sitting right in front of her.

Per default, the students only got tea for breakfast and KC being there meant a steaming pot of strong coffee, which was exactly what Lizzie needed right now.

"Look who finally crawled out of bed," KC giggled before taking a huge sip of her French roast. "Murphy thought you wouldn't show your face before lunch. Which means that I won," she added with a satisfied grin.

Murphy shook his head and passed her a sickle. "The odds stood at 22,6 % she'd be in time for breakfast."

Lizzie gave them an indignant look but didn't reply as she slipped into a seat next to Orion. She reached for the silver can sitting in front of KC.

"May I?" she mumbled.

KC shrugged. "Sure, you look like you need it."

Her smile faded from her lips, however, as Lizzie started heaping spoonful after spoonful of sugar into her cup. The Ravenclaw shuddered at the desecration of her favourite drink, but Lizzie didn't care; the sweet taste brought a bit of life back into her.

She held the hot cup against her cheek and closed her eyes for a moment, enjoying the warmth spreading on her face. It almost slipped out of her grasp as she felt Orion's hand covering her own beneath the table; they were sat with their backs to the outer wall of the Great Hall, opposite KC and Murphy, so no one beside her knew what he was doing.

"How do you feel?" he asked quietly, his voice sympathetic. She looked at him briefly; despite everything, he was smiling at her, his expression slightly concerned at her tragic state.

Her heart beating furiously, Lizzie took his hand for the briefest moment, running her thumb over the back of his hand before letting go. Now wrapping both of her hands around her steaming cup, she shook her head.