three

harry almost didn't believe what he saw when he opened his eyes from a peaceful nap. everything in his room was just flying around his bed.  socks, boxes, his bag pack, pencils, you name it. they were all hovering above him. until it all dropped to the floor at once, making an awful sound and an utter mess. harry nearly had a heart attack when a book flew at his direction, only barely managing to dodge it.

he heard a deafening laughter coming from the closet. the guffawing motioned closer to him until louis appeared right by harry's bed. harry shot daggers at him. "the fuck, man? can you not do that?"

"oh, come on. you should've seen the look on your face," louis threw his head back and laughed so hard, harry thought he was about to choke. for a brief moment, louis' skin looked more tinted than the usual grey, and transiently, his eyes looked just a little less dead than usual.

"shut the fuck up," harry mumbled and placed his toes on the floor, getting exposed to the cold. shivering, he turned to louis again, giving him a stern look. "you turned down the heat! what is wrong with you?" he exclaimed and crawled back in bed to seek warmth.

"sorry, i don't really control that," louis shrugged. then he frowned.

"what?" harry said.

"your jaw is swollen," louis pointed out. harry crossed his arms over his chest. "yes, i am aware of that. thank you for reminding me," he said, lightly touching the sore spot with his fingers.

"who did that."

"none of your business," harry answered nonchalantly. louis stayed silent for a while before disappearing again. harry rolled his eyes at the ghost.

this whole situation was just ridiculous. there was a fucking ghost in his bedroom, and apparently he thought it funny to mess with him.

he descended the beautifully decored staircase, scowling a little when he almost fell down the stairs.

to his disappointment, there was no food in the mansion. at all. whatsoever. harry continued roaming the fridge. of course he had forgotten to go grocery shopping. this was one of the downsides of having constantly busy parents. sometimes he wished his parents were home often enough to provide him with things like food.

harry drank some expired milk, grimaced, and got ready for another shitty day at school.

when he went to walk out the large gate, it was strangely enough locked. he furrowed his eyebrows, but pulled out a key from his pocket. he inserted it, but it got stuck in the lock. becoming frustrated, he mumbled curse words while kicking the gate with all of his might. which only earned him a hurting foot.

what a wonderful day to be alive!

a cool breeze touched the back of his neck, and none other than louis appeared out of the fucking blue. in his hands was a neatly wrapped little box.

harry looked up at him. "you can do that?" he spat, referring to the frozen lock on the gate in front of them., "yeah?" louis answered, raising an eyebrow at the boy. "anyway," he stuck out his hand to offer harry the small box. "you forgot your lunch."

harry accepted it hesitantly. "you made me lunch," he stated in an amused tone.

"you're welcome," louis leaned forward.

"hm," harry nodded, quite satisfied. he stuffed the lunch box in his bag pack, "thanks. i trust that you didn't poison it or anything."

the hovering ghost scoffed, "what kind of ghost do you take me for?" then he disappeared.

he sure did that a lot.

"wait, louis - the lock-" harry called, but received no response.

•••

math went by in a painfully slow pace.

as always, harry couldn't concentrate. math was such an uninteresting, boring, tedious, useless subject to him. he was certain that everyone who chose to have anything to do with the topic were just severely depressed. at least, that was the only reason harry could think of. but each to their own, he guessed.

in the seat next to his was a boy whom harry subtly copied his work off. he couldn't brng himself to care that the other student may not even have been any better at math than him.

he spent the time worrying about lunch period. he didn't really feel like getting beat up today. he did knee ethan in the crotch. that couldn't result in good consequences. his jaw was still swollen, and it was visible. at least it was visible to ghosts. he hadn't even bothered checking himself in the mirror. his mind wandered to louis.

a pain in the ass.

one day, he was going to scare the life out of harry. he was thankful the ghost hadn't killed him yet, though.

the bell rang. the teacher talked for a few more seconds before giving the class permission to go. his hands were starting to sweat and his teeth were ruthlessly abusing his bottom lip. like everyone else, he gathered his stuff rapidly and left the classroom to make it to the bathroom stalls in time.

out of breath, he locked the door to his stall. relief over his newfound safety washed over him. then he remembered the lunch louis had given him just before he left.

he brought his bag pack to his lap and began to rummage through it. he was so starved. his stomach was eating him alive at this point. his teeth watered as he unwrapped whatever was inside of the box.

however, the revelation disappointed him endlessly. wrapped in the nice, suggestive wrapping paper was a stupid, green toytruck.

killing louis sounded tempting right now, but someone had obviously already stolen that opportunity from harry.

he angrily threw the toy in the bin and spent the rest of the day starving.

waiting for the school day to be over was like waiting for godot. when the last class of the day came to an end, harry practically flew to the school gate.

"wow, you must be really busy," a strong accent behind him uttered, followed by a chuckle. he turned around; the owner of the voice was the boy from math class whose work harry had copied.

"yeah, um, i'm just really hungry," harry replied, awkwardly scratching his head. why did he have to sound so stupid?

the other boy just nodded, "fair. i'm niall."

"okay."

"... what's your name?" niall then asked.

"right, it's, uh, harry," harry said.

"nice."

awkward silence filled the air between them, until harry decided to break it. "well, i better get going now. bye," he said without waiting for a reply and ran to the grocery store.