seven

"louis, please. just come back," harry whispered, searching through his closet. it was a rather grey afternoon. his parents were just downstairs, so he didn't want to have to shout.

"i don't understand why you've been gone for a whole month now. i," harry sighed. "i miss you."

he looked down at his hands, "and, and i'm sorry if i offended you in any way. i just want you to come back. you're like, my best friend," he cringed after admitting that.

having given up, he sighed.

maybe louis really was just an illusion. that would explain why he disappeared just before his parents came home.

maybe harry just seriously needed help.

the dejected boy grabbed a blank canvas and softly dragged the rough hairs of the brush across it. he didn't know what he was painting. it was just a bunch of cold colors and sharp shapes.

dissatisfied, he ended up screwing up the painting, drawing a big, fat, red 'x' over the painting. he kicked the birch easel so it fell over with a loud slam.

lately he hadn't been able to do anything right. something was eating the insides of harry styles. something that was growing.

he walked downstairs, nodding at his parents in acknowledgement when he passed them. he continued to walk into the kitchen, opening the fridge and grabbing his half eaten sandwich from earlier. then he walked back up the stairs to finish it.

the huge window in his room had quite the view. as he was sitting on the window sill, back leaning against the wall, he watched the early sunset. he admired it while eating the ham and cheese sandwich.

he was alone in the world. and it was driving him mad. he had to live only with himself as a companion. his parents were just downstairs, yet they weren't there. not really.

he used to absolutely love his own company. but now... now he couldn't stand himself.

falling asleep again was hard when he knew that tomorrow was yet another school day he had to live whole skinned through. his bruises were healing, though, which had him relieved.

cheek to pillow, he sighed. he lay there for what felt like hours until his eyes were finally drooping. right before they shut close, he felt something hard bump his exposed feet. he jumped abruptly, looking down at the foot of the bed.

a book.

"better than niall?"

the boy yelped again. his heart skipped a beat from the familiar voice. he took the book and looked up.

"louis," harry slurred, smiling lazily.

louis was standing with his hands in his pockets. he offered a careful smile. he brought out a hand to wave, "hi harry."

"you've been gone."

the ghost faced the ground, kicking a nonexistent pebble. "i have." 

"why?" harry was happy to see him, but he felt like he deserved some sort of an explanation on louis' sudden disappearance.

"it had nothing to do with you. i just had to take care of something," louis said, looking up. "ghost stuff," he added with a smile.

harry scanned his face of any signs of suspicion, but was met with sincerity. he decided to not ask any further questions about this 'ghost business stuff'. instead he gave louis a big hug, and the pair chatted for hours on harry's bed. in no time, they were back to their usual selves.

harry had missed him an unhealthy amount. and for whatever reason, he liked him even more now.

the emptiness in harry's chest slowly but surely faded away. he was visibly happier and more bubbly than he'd been in the past month. it was so nice, but it scared him how much power the ghost actually had over his mental health. just his absence affected him badly.

louis was like some sort of drug. there was no doubt that harry had grown to be dependant on him.

and deep inside, the teenage boy knew this relationship with a dead boy couldn't be healthy at all.