A Strange Encounter

It was 2016, the spring season was at its peak. Trees blooming, birds singing, it was raining a little, but it was alright. And what is Stephen doing?

He had no idea himself.

It was just a few days ago that the Ancient One sent him to mountain Everest. His first time performing real magic. He wanted to learn, had to try harder. He wanted to feel the energy flow again. It was so different from everything. It felt nice. He hadn't felt much positive emotion ever since the incident, but this...this little thing he did. It made him hopeful that one day he'd have his old life back, he'd have his hands.

Stephen was reading a book on portals, sling rings, and different types of transportation magic. He also wanted to learn more about astral projections. Maybe when he finished the chapter he'd go see Wong in the library. For now, he found something interesting he wanted to try. And mustering his portals.

So, Wong declined to give him books. Alright then. Stephen will find a way to get the books he needed. Good thing he was studying his sling ring. He'd get those books.

Stephen was pleased with his improvement. He'd gone from no magic at all to using portals whenever he needed. Yes, it was a slow improvement. But with his hands and his pride feeding his arrogance, how could he not be pleased?

The following days the spells he was doing were becoming easier and easier. He was a fast learner and already becoming better than others. He still hadn't tried to enter the astral detention, but he might try soon. He also had to return the books to the library.

He snuck into the library that night, maneuvring around the bookshelves, returning the books.

Stephen didn't expect to find another one there. Well, maybe Wong. But this wasn't the librarian. They were using magic to conjure a small ball of light, it had a greenish tint by the edges. The person was tall, no taller than Strange himself though, with a lean figure dressed in a white long-sleeved robe, long dark hair tied in a ponytail, almost reaching the mid-back of the person. Their hand was folded across their chest the other holding their chin. There was a faint green glow in from of them. They had their back to Stephen.

"Um...hello," the person didn't turn, but their shoulders tensed a bit, Strange thought he imagined it, "I didn't know I'd find someone else here," still no reaction. Stephen closed to the person, furrowing his brows, "Um, Ms?"

Yes, they looked pretty feminine, so the former doctor thought they might be female. Plus it was dark, with only a small ball of light from above.

Only, the chuckle that escaped them didn't sound feminine at all. The figure lifted their right hand, a bandage wrapped around it, and with a wave, the whole library lit up. Now Stephen could clearly see them more clearly. The person crossed their hand in front of their chest and slowly turned.

Stephen's eyes widened and filled with fear. He could recognize these features, the green eyes, the dark hair, even if longer, and that face, a small smirk on it. In front of him stayed Loki! The same psycho that attacked New York a few years prior. The doctor knew of the attack like everyone else and have seen the few leaked photos of the sorcerer in front of him. The hospital, every hospital actually, has been full for days because of the catastrophe.

And now, there he was, staying in front of him, studying him casually.

Stephen was paralyzed. He didn't want to fight, not now, he wasn't ready yet. He didn't even have a basic combat skill and the only thing he knew how to do was portals. He reached for his sling ring. But before he could do anything, two bandaged hands grabbed both of his shakings ones. Strange looked up in fright. This is an alien! He couldn't best an alien even if he wanted. Not now, not yet.