A Loss And A Vicrotory

She was dead. Loki couldn't believe it. His teacher, the person that believed him, trusted him, gave him shelter when no one else would have, was dead.

It all happened too soon, too fast. He knew her time was due, he knew she wouldn't live forever, that she would eventually die, but he wasn't ready for it. Not yet.

He was alone with the Ancient one earlier that day, in one of her many places away from humankind. Places she shared with him when he needed to be alone.

"He is powerful," she had said.

Loki had nodded, deep in thought, "He is," he had agreed, "But he's not ready yet for the responsibility."

She had looked at him with a soft smile, "He won't be alone."

Loki had returned the smile with a small one of his own, "Yes, you'd be there to guide him," twisting words, that's what he's good at.

"My time will come sooner or later. I won't always be there for him," she had moved closer to him, "For you."

Loki couldn't hold her gaze and had averted his eyes to the side, "I know," he had whispered, "I just...I really don't know what I'd do. I'm not ready to let go..." he had confessed quietly, picking nervously at his palm. A habit he took from his mother, "At least tell me when..." he had sideglanced pleadingly.

The Ancient One had shaken her head, "Even if I knew, I couldn't have told you. Time is fragile."

Loki had nodded before leaving. He needed some time for himself. She had to go anyway, London's sanctum had been under attack. She had been needed there more.

The next time the Ancient One had sought him. Instead of a greeting, he had blurted, "So he knows?" he needn't specify who he meant. His teacher had just returned from New York.

 There had been a pause before she answered, "Yes."

But before she had had the chance to say anything else Loki had continued, "I sensed him. His magic. A powerful sorcerer - he'd surpass you in skill," there had been nothing more that could've been said. They both knew what was awaiting Strange, "He's smart, he would've eventually figured it out," there had been this ghost of a smile on his lips, "Does that surprise you?" he had turned and had locked eyes with his teacher.

They had stayed silent for a few moments, but they both had known the answer - No. It was none surprising Stephen figured it, it was none surprising he held his own again Kaecilius, it was none surprising he could use the infinity stone. They hadn't mentioned it, but they knew. He'd be a great Sorcerer Supreme. Not now. His time hadn't come yet. But one day, he will. And that scared Loki.

And like she had known what he had been thinking about, the Ancient One said, "He wouldn't abuse that power," she perhaps knew what he had been thinking. Ever since he met Strange, he had known. This was the one she talked about. The best of them. He was afraid Stephen would use his power, once he knew how to control it, against him. The world hadn't really forgotten about New York 2012. Even if Loki had nothing to do with it, the creature that attacked had worn his face.

But the fallen prince thought about the last two months. They started as rivals, from Loki's side and enemies, from Stephen's, and now they were close. Not friends yet, but close enough. Loki had smiled sadly, "I hope you are right."

And before the conversation could continue, Keacilius had attacked.

The Ancient One and Loki had shown up. His teacher had made an arena-like area, securing Strange and Mordo at the sidelines of it.

"It's true," Mordo had said barely above a whisper, "She does draw power from the dark dimension."

There had been three of them. Two of Kaecilius' followers and Kaecilius himself. Their teacher had confronted Keacilius first, Loki and the Zealots had waited, had been watching, ready to attack at any given moment. The five had engaged soon after, Loki taking the woman and the Ancient One taking on the two men.