Arrangements

Stephen had just returned the Eye of Agamoto. He was now at the Sanctum Sanctorum in New York. Wong was back at Kamar Taj with the sorcerer trainees. Mordo hadn't returned and by the looks of it, he wouldn't.

And Loki. 

He was waiting downstairs. He was as uneasy as Stephen had never seen before. His usually smooth movements were replaced with jerkiness, his relaxed stance - stiff, his eyes darting everywhere, but Stephen. This confused him.

And he saw that same fear he saw the day they were at the library. The same confusion filled Strange. 

He decided to address it later though. Maybe Loki was unsure of what to do without the Ancient One there. Stephen sure as hell was, "So, what now?" he asked.

Loki's eyes went to him, a thoughtful frown on his face. After a long moment of silence, Loki answered, "You still don't know," it was an observation to be honest, not an answer, but it took Stephen off guard all the same, "You are now to become the Sorcerer Supreme."

Stephen stared hard and long at Loki, before huffing a laugh, "No, no I'm not," he shook his head, an amused smile on his lips.

But Loki was serious and wouldn't back down, "Yes, you are. You are meant to be the Master of the Mystic Arts."

Strange saw that the other sorcerer was not joking, but wasn't ready to believe this, "I'm not. You are ten times better than me. And Wong too. Why can't one of you become the new Sorcerer Supreme?"

Loki looked down, "You are gifted with powerful magic, a true talent, a natural. Like me," the last was whispered. There was a pause before the fallen prince lifted his eyes and met Stephen's once more, "But there is a difference between us. I do not belong here. You do."

"And wh-"

Loki lifted a hand, "Let me finish, please," he folded his hands in front of his chest, "My type of magic is not the one you are practicing here, my understanding of it is limited. I practice it, but that doesn't mean I know how to use its full potential. You, on the other hand, can learn. There's nothing stopping you. No previous experience."

"What do you mean its 'full potential'? Can't you learn too? Why does that 'previous experience' stops you?" Stephen's head was bussing with questions. Loki stopped him with a flick of his wrist.

"I have had centuries of practice and study, and even if I perfect this mystic art, my own will limit me. I am dependant on it, it's part of me, I cannot overrule it. You have a fresh start. You are meant to be the best of us," Loki explained, he was so serious, there was no ounce of amusement, of a joke in his words, "The new Sorcerer Supreme.."

"But I can't be," Stephen tried desperately. This was too much responsibility for him, and too soon. He wasn't ready, "I'm not- I can't-"

"You have a lot to learn, yes, but Earth can't be left without defense," the raven-haired man interrupted again, "Stephen, this planet needs a defender, a representative and I can't be the one. At the least, because of my past. People have to be able to trust their defenders and we both know why it can't be me," his voice softened, his eyes holding the same sternness.

Stephen sighed defeated, "Okay, alright...Just give me- give me a day to think it over."

Loki nodded but didn't leave the room. His right hand absently picking at his left upper arm, eyes darting away, the unsureness and uneasiness returning. Strange narrowed his eyes, "This wasn't the only thing you wanted to talk about, was it?" he questioned the God of Chaos, who gave a small nod, "What is it?"

Loki inhaled deeply through his nose and exhaled, "Since," his throat suddenly felt dry. He cleared it and tried again, "Since you are - supposedly - the Sorcerer Supreme now, you are responsible for-" he cut himself off, squeezing his eyes shut. Stephen was expecting the worst when Loki whispered, "-for my faith."