♡ your ears can deceive you | final part ♡

No, no, no no, no! Hailey thought, panic-stricken. He's the reason why I'm here in the first place, and now this happens?! I have to go before he sees me! Hailey stood up then turned to leave. Too late. Jake turned around and saw Hailey. He blinked a few times, to make sure he wasn't hallucinating. You've got to hand it to him, Hailey thought as Jake approached her. He still hasn't given up on trying to talk to me. Maybe he does have a valid explanation. "Hailey! Hi!" Hailey was baffled at how Jake could be so cheery at the moment. "Jake, what do you want?" she asked in a tired voice. "For you to finally listen, instead of running off every time you see me," Hailey stiffened up. "Don't think I didn't notice, princess." She swallowed and looked away. He called me "princess". Hailey was embarrassed to admit it, but having a designated nickname that Jake only used with her made her feel, well, special. "Sit." Jake said, pointing to the bench.

"Why did you say those things about me at school, Jake?" Hailey asked, still not looking at him. "I only said what Drew would've wanted to hear," Jake replied. "But I didn't mean any of it." "So you lied to them?" Hailey asked incredulously. "Yeah. basically." "But why? You could've just told them the truth." "Yes, but then they would make fun of me." Now that those words came out of Jake's mouth, he realized how dumb that sounded. "Well, they're not very good friends, then." Hailey said sharply. She looked up, and saw Drew, Liam, and Henry walking through the park's entrance. "Speak of the devil," she muttered.

Drew was talking animatedly to his friends. His gaze fell upon Jake and Hailey, and he did a double take. "Wait a minute," he muttered to Liam and Henry. He marched over to the bench, his eyes flashing. "What the hell do you think you're doing, Jake?" he asked furiously. "Sitting," Jake replied, pleasantly. Hailey smirked. Drew took an irritated deep breath and continued, "Why are you sitting here with this cow? Come with us!"

"Are those the best insults you can come up with, cow and freak?" Jake asked quietly. "What did you say to me?" Jake stood up. "I said, are those the best insults you can come up with?!" Jake said loudly. Hailey looked bewildered. "Why do you even pick on the music club anyways? They do nothing to you! Y'know Drew, you really shouldn't harass those who have much more talent than you." Jake added smugly. Drew looked taken aback, and Hailey was stifling her laughter. Meanwhile, Liam and Henry just stood in the background, gawking.

"You know what, fine!" Drew yelled. "Stay with this freak! You guys can become a freak couple and have freak children!" Hailey slightly reddened. "See if I care! Come on guys, we're leaving!" Drew beckoned to Liam and Henry. All three of them were soon out of sight.

"That was amazing, Jake!" Hailey said, playfully punching his shoulder. "Thanks for that." she smiled. Jake returned it. "Anytime." And there it was. His signature smile that made Hailey's knees feel like Jell-O and made her get butterflies in her stomach. "Well, I should start getting home now," Jake said. "It's getting dark." Hailey got up. "W-wait!" she exclaimed. "Yeah?" "What you said in the- in the- school hallway, the other day. Is that true?" "Wha- oh. Yes. Yes, it is." Jake smiled again.

Hailey threw his arms around him and sobbed. "Oh, Jake, I didn't know! I thought you just said that to get my attention, and then I was being so harsh to you-" she gasped. "Shh.. it's okay. You had every right to be mad at me." Jake stroked her head. "Yes, but- I was being so stubborn and selfish- I felt terrible! Oh god, I hate myself!" Jake pulled away from her and looked straight into her dark gray eyes. "Hailey! Don't say that. Ever." he said firmly. Hailey nodded and wiped away her tears, and she put on her backpack. Jake held out his hand. "Shall we?" Hailey happily took it, and together, they left the park. Even though the backpack she carried was heavy, Hailey felt lighter than she had in days.

A/N: hi! this was my first fic that I wrote that wasn't just a single oneshot and i think i did okay for the most part (lmao). 
i hope you enjoyed :D

Jailey art by Atsuya#4814 on Discord :D
(yes im going to be using their discord tags to credit them for all the artists)