Chapter Fifteen: phone call

clay🔥: are you awake?

I look at the text for a few seconds before reaching it up and calling him. I grab my phone headphones from their discarded place on my table and connect them to my phone and, as soon as I do, he picks up the phone. "Ruth?"

"That would be me. Isn't it like five am for you? Go to bed." I remark. My eyes flick away from the minecraft server I'm on, my almost entirely completed castle forgotten as I focus on listening to Clay.

He is silent for a few seconds before a small snort escapes him. "Nice to hear you concerned about my bad habits for once."

I smile at his words. My hands leave my keys and I bring them above my head, stretching slightly. "I'm always concerned. What's up?"

"I have a wildly stupid idea that ignore health code and is overall kind of just dumb." He answers.

A few seconds pass between us before my eyebrows rise. "You want me to come visit you?"

"You're supposed to let me do a big reveal and everything. You ruin all my fun." He lets out a small sigh, something that makes me smile a bit. It's a strained smile, though, because as he speaks I realize that it's not the worst idea. "I just - your job's been remote for the beginning of this week and you told me that you've got no plans to go back, so you can come and visit me without really messing up your work schedule. I've got a guest room you can use as an office, and I won't be a bother or anything."

He's right. Now is a good time for me to go to Florida. It's a stupid thing to do - unnecessary travel in a time when I really shouldn't be crossing the country - but it's so intoxicatingly right at the same time. We could buy tickets tonight and literally tomorrow I'd be with him.

It's just so, so sudden.

Clay speaks after a few moments. "I know it's kind of rushed, but I thought of it a few hours ago and I just can't - I can buy you plane tickets right now. You could be - I could see you in five hours."

"It's an intoxicating thought." I say, my uncertainty flying through my mind. I'm running through all the obligations I have here and I realize that I can definitely make it work. I - Emma won't mind; if anything, she'll be thrilled that I'm actually getting some, although I bet she'll find it hilarious that I had to go to Florida for that.

"That doesn't sound like a no." He offers tentatively.

I exhale. "Well, it'll be fine with work. You're right - this is a good time. It's just so, no. Fuck it; let's do it."

"Really?" His voice rises slightly, excitement breaking through it.

I smile at his happiness. "You're excited. I - here, you're Miami, right? I can look up flights right now."

"That's where you'd fly, yeah. I can buy them, Ruth."

"I will definitely not let you do that." I answer instantly, clicking off of minecraft. It takes me a few moments to navigate over to Delta, the airline that I always fly with.

I start to try to find a flight as Clay begins to talk again. "It can be a few days or weeks, however much time you can spare."

"We're going back in person in a little over two weeks." I say slightly distracted.

A direct flight for tomorrow night settles on my screen and I click on it. I won't be able to pack and also go to work tomorrow, so taking a flight at night sounds like the smartest decision. It's, well, this isn't the smartest decision - I'm acting with my heart and not my brain right now, but it's no matter.