Chapter 5: Helga

Lulu and I were downstairs making snacks and sweets for tomorrow when Seth and Zoe ran down the stairs, jugs of oil in their hands as they hid behind the couch. Lulu and I shared a look before sighing, a giggle escaping both of us as we started on the chocolate-covered strawberries, a cake, and cookies already in the oven. We heard Helga telling Shane off from up the stairs just before multiple thuds were heard. Lulu and I quickly set the strawberries down and rushed to go help the fallen Helga up, picking up the laundry that fell from the basket as well.

"Oh, my god! Are you okay Helga?" I asked, helping her up and steadying her as she wobbled. "Come on, let's sit you down," I said, guiding her over to a chair.

"Thank you, dear." She said, wincing in pain.

"Are you alright? Can I get you anything?" I asked her making her sigh.

"I'm alright, dear." She said before sighing. "I can't deal with your siblings anymore. I'm sorry dear, but I quit." She said making me sigh. Lulu had picked up the laundry, going back to making the strawberries.

"It's alright," I said sadly. "I understand. Everyone has limits to what they will put up with, you've just reached yours." I said, rubbing her arm.

"Thank you for understanding dear." She said, a smile on her face before she shakily stood up.

"Would you like some help packing?" I asked but she just waved me off.

"Go have fun with Lulu, I know she missed being with you." She said making me smile sadly again, hugging her.

"Alright, if you're sure. I'll get a cloth and clean up that oil." I said hesitantly, letting her go up the other stairs while I cleaned the main one. Quickly finishing up I headed back to the kitchen to see Lulu sitting on her stool, holding a strawberry over the bowl of chocolate.

"Is she alright?" She asked making me sigh.

"Yes, but she quit. Zoe and Seth really did it this time." I said a disappointed tone to my voice as I rubbed my eyes.

"Oh," Lulu said, a sad look coming over her face. I noticed and started helping her again with the strawberries.

"Well, since she's done so much for all of us, what if we give her some of these treats to take with her?" I suggested making Lulu light up and nod, her enthusiasm back. I smiled at my little sister, chuckling before the timer on the stove beeped and I took the two trays of cookies out. "Alright, you keep doing that and I'll deal with the cookies alright? I'll even show you how to do the little strips too." I said, putting the baked cookies on a cooling rack, putting more cookie batter on the trays, and putting it back in the oven. I checked on the cake, sticking a toothpick in the middle and smiling as it came out clean. I took the cake out too, setting it off to the corner of the stovetop to let cool.

I then got out some white and dark chocolate melts and melted them each in a double boiler on the stove, putting them in ziplock bags and snipping a tiny hole in a corner of the bag. I set the bags on the counter, taking out a tray of already set strawberries and setting them on the counter just as Lulu finished her tray.

"I'll take that," I said, taking the tray and putting it in the fridge. Walking back over I gave Lulu the bag of white chocolate while I took the dark. "Okay, now this is easy, just lightly go back and forth with the bag above the strawberry, lightly squeezing the bag. Got it?" I asked after showing her how to do it. She nodded and started on one end of the tray while I worked on the other end. We eventually finished that tray and I high-fived Lulu.

"Great job, Lu!" I congratulated her, going to get some cupcake liners. "Could you get out a long tub?" She nodded, getting a container from one of the lower cupboards. I used the cupcake liners to set the strawberries in the plastic container, with a few of the chocolate chip cookies going in as well.