5: train!

Lollipop was playing over the radio as Teddy and Vern dance synchronized along the tracks. I had been silent the whole way thinking of what that man was saying maybe more people then I thought knew. Maybe they all just thought I was a slut. Maybe Emily the nice girl was gone and it was Emily the prostitute. Tears prick my eyes as I get flashbacks to my father. I feel a hand on my shoulder and I flinch at the contact bumping into Gordie.

You: oh sorry... both of you.

I fake a smile and blink a couple times drying the tears from my eyes.

Chris: your not thinking about what that old man was saying are you?
You: no I'm fine.
Gordie: you sure? You've been a lot quieter then usual all day.
You: I'm fine guys.
Chris: what did that man mean?
You: nothing all right I'm fine and he's an asshole conversation over.

They both nod their heads while they slightly hang low.

You: sorry.
Chris: don't apologize for everything.
Gordie: seems like your favourite word.

I just shrug my shoulders with my normal smile on my face and the two of them start talking.

Chris: hey I got some Winstons. Hocked em off my old mans dresser. One piece for after supper.
Gordie: yeah that's cool
Chris: yeah. That's when a cigarette tastes best. After supper. Except for little old Emily wouldn't know now would she.

He messes up my hair with a laugh as I quickly fix it. He wraps his arm around my shoulder again and I look over at Gordie who looks sad.

You: you alright Gordie.
Gordie: do think I'm weird.
Chris: definitely.
Gordie: no man seriously. Am I weird.
Chris: yeah but so what everybody's weird. You guys ready for school?
You: no way
Gordie: no
Chris: junior high. You know what that means. By next June we'll all be split up
Gordie: what are you talking about? Why would that happen?
Chris: it's not gonna be like grammar school that's why. You'll both be taking your college courses me, Teddy, Vern will all be in the shop courses with the rest of the retards making ashtrays and birdhouses.
Your gonna meet a lot of new guys. Smart guys.
Gordie: meet a lot of pussys you mean.
You: probably gonna be geeks in glasses.
Chris: no man, don't say that. Don't even think that.
Gordie: I'm not in with the pussies forget it.
Chris: then your an asshole.
You: theirs nothing asshole about being with your friends.
Chris: it's asshole if your friends drag you down. You'll hang with us you'll just be two more wise guys with shit for brains.

I look up at Vern and Teddy who seem to be arguing about something stupid.

Chris: I mean you could be a real writer some day Gordie. And Em you'll be some actress or a singer or some shit with all of your damn talents.
Gordie: fuck writing, I don't want to be a writer. It's stupid it's a wast of time.
Chris: that's your dad talking
You: Gordie your one of the best writers I've ever met. I have no idea how you come up with all of that stuff.
Gordie: bull shit
You: bull true.
Chris: I know how your dad feels about you he doesn't give a shit about you. Denny was the only one he cared about and don't try to tell me different.
Your just a kid Gordie.
Gordie: oh gee thanks dad
Chris: I wish the hell I was your dad. You wouldn't be going around talking about taking stupid shop courses if I was. It's like god gave you something man, all these stories that you can make up. He said "this is what I've got for you kid try not to lose it." Kids loose everything unless there's someone to look out for them. And if your parents are too fucked up to do it then maybe I should.
Vern: cmon you guys let's get moving!
Teddy: yeah by the time we get there the the kid won't even be dead anymore.
You: that doesn't even make sense.

Gordie jogs up and catches up to the two of them while Chris and I walk behind. I was expecting an arm to be thrown around my shoulder but instead I felt a warm light touch glide across my hand. I smile and look down and our now connected hands and move my hand a bit to tighten my grip but I think Chris takes it as I didn't want to hold his hand so he moves it away. I grab his hand back and hold it in a more comfortable way. I look up at Chris's bright blue eyes as he smiles at me with a unreadable expression coursing through his eyes. I feel a warm sensation course through my cheeks and I look away hearing him chuckle.

Teddy: cmon love birds we gotta dead man to find.

I remove my hand from Chris's and jog to catch up to them slugging my arms around Vern and Teddy.

Teddy: took you long enough.

I roll my eyes and we all keep walking until we reach a large bridge that is about 100 feet above water.

Vern: any of you guys know when the next train is due?
Chris: we could go down to the route 136 bride.
Teddy: what are you crazy that's five miles down the river. You walk five miles down the river you gotta walk five miles back. That could take till dark. We cross here we can get to the same place in 10 minutes.
Vern: yeah but what if a train comes there's no where to go.
Teddy: no there isn't just jump.
Chris: Teddy it's a hundred feet.
Vern: yeah Teddy
You; if we are going in the tracks we mine as well start walking in case a train does come we'd be at the other side by the time it gets here.
Teddy: Ems right. While you guys are dragging your candy asses halfway across the state and back I'll be waiting for you on the other side relaxing with Em.
Gordie: you use your left hand or your right hand for that?

I laughed but after a couple of seconds I decided to stop listening and start walking. The boards were not the most stable but they could hold a train so what bad could happen.

Chris: Em!

I hear him run up behind and wrap his arm around my shoulder.

Chris: don't go running off on me now.
You: don't worry about that I'm a big girl.
Chris: your almost as crazy as Teddy you know that.
Teddy: hey man I'm right here.

I giggle as we keep walking along the bridge carefully. I look back to see Vern slowly crawling along the boards of the tracks with Gordie behind.

Gordie: train!

We all look back to see the smoke rising above the trees and we make a break for it. I think it was the fastest I've ever ran. Me Teddy and Chris all make it off the tracks and look back to see Vern and Gordie almost right in front of the train. The tree of us start yelling for them to run as the train inches closer to them. Before the train could reach them Gordie pushes Vern off the tracks and jumps with him. Once the train passes we run across the tracks to see the both of them dusting them selves off.

Chris: at least now we know when the next train is due.

They both look up at him disapprovingly and climb up from the rocky hill and meet us at the top. I notice the top of Gordie's head has a bit of blood dripping from it. I walk over closer to him and grab his hand sitting him down without telling him what I was doing. I take off my backpack and grab the small little first aid kit I had in my bag. I take the anti bacterial wipe from it while Gordie looks at me confused.

You: you have a cut dumb ass. Oh and this is gonna sting.

I move his hair from his face and wipe the pad against his face cleaning all the dirt and blood from it as he hissed from the pain. I grab a bandaid and put it on before kissing his forehead with a smile. He turns bright red while the other boys look at him with jealousy.

Teddy: aww man look my lips are all scratched up.
You: nice try Teddy.

I say as I put the stuff back in my bag and zip it up as we all start walking again.