Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection

"Christmas is the season of joy, of gift-giving, and of families united." "Peace on earth will come to stay when we live Christmas every day." "He who has not Christmas in his heart will never find it under a tree." "Like snowflakes, my Christmas memories gather and dance—each beautiful, unique, and gone too soon."

"I can believe it's Christmas Eve." Ellen and Lukas were lying in bed together at Lukas's parents house in Boston.

"It feels like Christmas was just here." Lukas whispered back before licking the red icing from the top of his cupcake.

The night that Ellen came home crying about Patrick they discovered they both were from Boston. She had never heard his accent before, maybe because she was using him as a replacement for Chris and a substitute for Patrick at the time. But now things were different.. they both decided a relationship wasn't a good idea because of the whole "feelings for his best fiend" situation..  so now they were just friends.. friends who had serious problems.

"God this year is flying by.. oh by the way your parents seems like good people." Ellen had never been a family person. Her mom had died when she was four so she never had that mother daughter bond, she never understood it. But earlier when they arrived his mother had been very kind to her and it came naturally.

"Yeah they are." Things weren't exactly as they seemed in Lukas's childhood home. His father had always been aggressive and had anger issues, being one of the reasons he left.

Ellen lifted the remote up and hit pause, "why'd you say it like that?"

"Like what?"

"Like what I said wasn't true.."

"That saying don't judge a book by it's cover is sorta like my family except once you read the book it's worse than what you would have expected." Lukas has never really gotten into details about his family before.. Patrick had been his friend for years and they never had the "family talk."

Ellen was becoming intrigued, "so what their serial killers or something?"

Lukas looked into her green eyes, "wouldn't necessarily call it that."

"And now I'm done asking questions.. although when we go to my childhood home tomorrow I'm sure you'll have several."

%%

"Your making it weird!" Patrick and Jill and decided their marriage needed a lot more than "playing nice". If they were going to be together.. they had to admit their true feelings toward each other.

Jills mother had suggested marriage counseling.. but how do you counsel being in love with someone else? Patrick wasn't going to fight Jill anymore, you can't always be with your soulmate.. if Ellen even was.

"I am not making it weird! She said to look into your eyes and remember the happy times, remember how we fell in love." Patrick and Jill had met at a hair shop, he went in to get his hair cut and there she was.

"Right I'm sorry" silence fell once again and their eye contact became stronger.

Flashback:

"This is the longest I've ever grown my hair out, starting to look a little strange." Patrick was on the phone with his wife, Rocky.

They had gotten used to the funny looks and the disgusted faces when they would hold hands or kiss intimately. Rocky had been his mother's best friend.. he married his mother best friend and just never gave a damn what any one else thought.

"I think you look fine.. so are we still on for date night or do you have an audition?"

"Umm we are still on-" Patrick swung the door open and was hit with a steamy oily smell. This woman was walking toward him, her blond hair just at her shoulders.. her smile could light up the world. And her eyes.. you could see through her soul.

"Patrick.."

End flashback

"I think that went pretty good" Patrick hadn't thought about that day in years.. seeing her made him a different man, a better man.

"Patrick if we cannot fix this I don't want you to just disappear from my life.. your my best friend whether we're together or not."

Patrick leaned in and placed a kiss on her cheek, "I don't want to walk out of your life."

%%

"Do you what to go build a snowman?" Lukas was like a child when he wasn't serious, and it was a little adorable.

A smile spread over Ellen's face and she was about to reply when her phone started to ring, "it's Sandra, one second."

"Hey, whats going on?"

Sandra didn't answer her, she just cut straight to the point, "I wasn't going to say anything to you because it's none of my business.. but el what the hell were you thinking sleeping with a married man. This isn't some fucking child's play he had a family and you are a home wrecker.. your actually Meredith Grey and it's disgusting."

Tears welled up in Ellens eyes.. she just hung up the phone and ran past Lukas.
"El.."

Lukas turned past the coffee table, "take your shoes off, you want to be a man act like one! Tracking snow into your parents house you fucking idiot."

Lukas didn't say anything.. because saying things would make it worse. It would make him more upset. Ellen stopped at the top of the stairs. "Don't act like you don't hear me.. dumb ass." His father pushed him in his chest.

Ellen turned around and started to walk back down, "el go get your stuff we're leaving."

"Lukas.."

"El go!"

Haven't updated because I'm trying to figure out how I want to end it and get them together.. but I'm just gonna post filler chapters.