Chapter 25

AMELIA POV

"I don't."

A sudden and audible gasp leaves everyone's mouth, including Alexander. Jodie's hands fly up and cover her mouth.

"What?" He says, his face hurt and confused.

I lift my veil and push it over my head, revealing my face to him. Taking a step closer and closing the distance between us.

"Come on Alexander.." I murmur, my lips against his cheek, "you didn't I'd let you off the hook so easily now, did you?"

His mouth parts, surprised.

"What are you talking about?" He asks, he's concentrated on me but is obviously affected by the gossiping crowd.

"Don't pretend like you don't know what I'm talking about." I tease.

But he genuinely doesn't know what I'm talking about.

"Seriously? Alright.." I huff "late night phone calls, sudden business trips...did you think I was an idiot?"

His face drops when he realises what I'm talking about.

"Then why did you say you want to get married?" He asked.

"Please." I scoff "this was the plan all along. Honestly I'm doubting your intelligence that you didn't see it coming."

"Amelia.." he tries to grab my arm but I push him away from me, stepping down from the altar and walking back down the aisle.

The paparazzi, who were previously patiently waiting rush to Alexander and to me.

"Miss Davis what was that?" Reporters swarm around me.

"I think Mr Chopra will have all the answers to your questions." I smile in the camera. My heels click against the floor as the reporters move away from me and run to Alexander.

I go outside the venue, looking over the benches to catch Jasmine's surprised face look over to me. I nod my head to her, indicating that I'm fine. She doesn't look convinced but doesn't stop me from leaving.

I wasn't planning on leaving but I just wanted some fresh air and a moment to myself before the paparazzi would bombard me again.

There were multiple fountains around the building, with beautiful statues and spraying water. I walk up to the one nearest to me, sitting on it's brick edge.

I run my fingers in the cool water. My body was hot from what had just happened. Although it was my intention all along, I still felt overwhelmed in the moment.

Resisting the urge to just fall back into the cool water, I sit up straight and rest my head in my hands.

I laugh to myself.

He deserved that. He deserved worse.

But nothing mattered more to him than his image.

That's why he wanted to marry me in the first place. So the billionaire Alexander Chopra had an equally successful wife by his side.

I'd often heard new articles and comments about how he managed to 'tame' me, as if I was some wild animal that he domesticated.

I knew he secretly loving it, the boost to his already enormous ego.

"Amelia what the hell happened over there?" Jodie says, running towards me.

"Don't worry I didn't chicken out, that was meant to happen..." I say sheepishly.

Looking back I saw how this could potentially backfire onto me, but in the moment and the days building up to it I was blind with fury.

"Huh?" Jasmine, who's also here now, furrows her eyebrows.

"He was cheating on me." I explain "I couldn't just break up with him and let him go."

"Ah that is the most Amelia Davis style of revenge." Jodie laughs. Both the girls sit on either side of me, hugging me tightly.

"Can a have a few moments alone?" I ask them, they nod understandingly.

"Hey guys I'm Amelia's best friend I'll tell you all what happened!" Jodie waves to the paparazzi, attracting them to her rather than me.

I smile at her gratefully and Jasmine squeezes my hand once more before leaving to join Jodie.

"I'm her real best friend." Jasmine fights her way through the reporters and stands next to Jodie.

I don't know what exactly they're talking about but from the few words I could hear I knew it was total bullshit.

I take a deep breath and hold it in for a few seconds, closing my eyes and trying to calm my racing heart down.

My heart sits heavy in my chest but not because of what just happened.

How did I ever love you? You are the most selfish person I have ever met, god how did I not see this. Thank you for opening my eyes

I wish it was someone else who signed the contract that day.

His words were like dunking my head in a bucket of cold water. I knew he had some resentment towards me but I didn't think it went that deep.

I knew it was too much to ask for him to still love me.

After everything I put him through over these past 4 years, it was insane to be that he stayed this long let alone stay a little longer.

He eventually cracked and finally let the words that were haunting him out.

It was obvious that this would happen yet I was still clinging onto a little hope.

I was somewhat surprised that I didn't collapse in tears when he said those words but I was glad I didn't.

It took me too long to see that he was the one for me.

I had tried everything - ignoring him, hating him, getting my revenge and even being with someone else.

But no matter what, I would always end up craving him.

I pulled away every time he kissed me, but I actually wanted to drown deeper in his touch.

After this wedding nonsense was over I was going to surrender to him and hope my heart found the relief it hadn't felt since the day we divorced.

I wanted to cry and scream but I felt nothing.

Empty and useless.

I shouldn't have let him into my room this morning, then none of this would have happened, but I can't cry over the past.

God knows how much I've made him cry over the past anyway.

A satirical laughter escapes me, mocking my own bad luck.

All this time I thought I was protecting my heart when really, I was the only reason it was breaking.

If only he had waited a few moments longer.

I get up, dusting my dress down and begin walking out, trusting that I knew where I was going when I really had no idea.

"Miss Davis.." I get stopped in my tracks.

this chapter is on the short side but you guys wanted an update immediately so i couldn't make it too long without making you all wait.

also tysm for 10k!

please vote and comment.

-BanditLuva🖤