004

ੈ♡₊˚•. ˖⋆ ━━━━━⠀HEARTBURN !
▅▅▅▅▅▅▅ ⋯ ▅▅▅▅▅▅▅ ˓ 𑁍ࠜೄ
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 FOUR ・*:·. ⇌ ஜ .·:*

There was always an uncomfortable sense of eagerness on reaping day.

At least, there always was in the Hart house. Her parents always got them up at the break of dawn, bathing, waxing, and scrubbing them so vigorously it rubbed her skin raw. Fresh breakfast and baked goods were always on the table when they were fished, Enzo's parents and team alongside her gossiping and predicting the reaping. It was always unspoken that Tristan was never to be picked, but they still treated him just the same.

This year was primarily the same. She woke up earlier than the birds and sat in the bath while Iris washed her hair. She scrubbed her skin so dry Julianna was positive she lost pieces of flesh. Julianna joined the rest of her team where they dressed her in a white suit of sorts. It came off her shoulders and a mid-length cape draped off her shoulders. Her red hair was always a nice contrast to white.

It's why Iris loved it.

Thankfully she had gotten used to the heeled boots that came up to her thighs– she's never been seen without wearing them. Her hair was pulled back into a slick ponytail that trailed down to the middle of her back. "My beautiful victor," Iris hummed thoughtfully, staring at Julianna's reflection in the mirror. The redhead couldn't help but smile, finally tearing her eyes away from the mirror.

The two of them made their way downstairs, Quinn and Knox already sitting in the kitchen– probably strategizing. Julianna could hear the laughter from outside, people were beginning to gather at the nut. They sounded so . . . excited. Julianna wonders what reaping day looked like in other districts.

"My god," Quinn gasped, having caught sight of her. "Iris you've done it again, my girl, you look so . . ."

"Grown up?" Knox adds, Quinn, nodding and pointing at him.

"Mature."

An odd sense of warmth filled Julianna. Tristan wasn't here, but Quinn was. And Quinn never failed to make her feel wanted. She made her feel like she was more than just a killing machine, cursed with blood lust. The moment is short and bittersweet. Because the next thing she knows, she's being shoved out the door to be met by the peacekeepers.

Julianna wishes she could see Enzo.

It would make the sudden stab of anxiety in her gut a hell of a lot easier to control. She's stuck in between two peacekeepers who have a not-so-gentle grip on each of her forearms. She resists the urge to roll her eyes. It's only because, on her second reaping, she tried to make a run for it. Didn't get very far, though.

The air was cool but not cold enough that it made her shiver and shrink into a curled-up ball– she thanked Iris' thermal layer under her suit for that. She's led past the crowd of people– they're unusually loud for this early in the morning, and she wouldn't doubt if they were already intoxicated. Reaping days were always something to celebrate in 2, it was almost unnerving.

Julianna wonders what reaping day was like in other districts.

She's rushed to the center of the nut, and onto the stage hurriedly. She's one of the last victors to gather onto the stage, alongside at least 10 other girls. She's placed next to Enobaria who doesn't even spare a glance in Julianna's direction. She's dressed in gold. Julianna remembers her father raving about Enobaria after her first games– she won her games by ripping another tribute throat out with her teeth.