05

CHAPTER FIVE
THE ABYSS

SATURDAY 1st OCTOBER, 2005

Lexie hadn't seen Nate since she made her statement at the police station.

She looked out for him at school, though whether that was because she was actually, for some reason, concerned about him, or she just was afraid to see him again, Lexie wasn't sure. Every time the door opened to class and somebody stepped inside, her head would involuntarily whirl around to check whether it was Nate. Whenever she was in the midst of the crowded cafeteria, her eyes would automatically scan the room to find him.

Ruby was clearly doing her very best to distract her, though by the end of the week she was running out of conversations that could keep her occupied – her best effort by far was a mention of the amount of plastic school food used, which managed to launch Lexie into a passionate rant about the environment for almost the entire duration of lunch. Ruby listened and nodded along, and agreed with her points, despite the fact she was a huge fucking hypocrite, sat there with her plastic tub of salad and plastic straw in her drink, which was, coincidentally in a plastic cup.

Malia seemed to catch on that something was up. She never asked about it, but kept endorsing Ruby's efforts of distraction tactics. Lexie, against all odds, was starting to warm to Malia, (Ruby almost fell off her chair when she told her that), and the two of them had a lengthy conversation whilst they were bored in History about their favourite episodes of Sex and the City. Lexie appreciated this, since she usually sat next to Nate in History, and had felt the overwhelmingly strong cold presence of an empty chair until Malia filled the space.

The week went past surprisingly quickly, and the following one flew by even faster. By the time the first Saturday morning of October rolled around, Lexie was bursting to finally get out and let off some steam. And there was no better opportunity than the party taking place in La Push.

Ruby had been invited by Embry, and had obviously extended the invitation to Lexie too.

She went shopping for a new dress in preparation, and bought three, in varying degrees of sluttiness, deciding to wait and see what mood she was in on the night.

"I'm thinking the pink one," Ruby suggested.

Lexie had hauled a bunch of outfits to her house that evening so they could get ready together. Ruby's evil 'fashionista' stepmother had intercepted them and spent, like, half an hour giving her unwanted advice. Lexie chose not to wear the outfit she suggested, just out of spite.

"I'm thinking that one too," Lexie agreed, holding the garment in front of her as she stared at her reflection in the full length mirror. "It's sexy, but not its not trying too hard to be, if you get what I mean? The colour softens it."