01

CHAPTER ONE
SIBLING RIVALRIES

CHAPTER ONE SIBLING RIVALRIES

MONDAY 19TH SEPTEMBER, 2005

Lexie Diaz could not care less about having a bad reputation.

Being the twin sister (older by three minutes!) to one of Forks High's most worshiped soccer stars, had, of course, come with its perks and downfalls. Popularity was an area that Lexie had no trouble thriving in, and attention, good or bad, did not matter to her. Drama was practically her middle name, and there was absolutely nothing she enjoyed more than being treated as if she were a total goddess.

So, having a more successful twin brother, didn't always bode well for her. Whilst Lexie was respected, but mostly considered intimidating, Joey was worshipped like a God by the entire school, including their teachers. The only person who hadn't fallen under his spell, was, of course, Lexie. Despite the fact that she was also blessed with the natural Diaz charm, it was definitely not to Joey's extent. Lexie was convinced her brother could actually get away with murder – which sucked even more because Joey didn't have a bad bone in his entire body.

In the eyes of the world, Joey Diaz was perfect, and Lexie was, well, trouble. She believed that she was perceived this way because of the patriarchal world they lived in, which placed much higher standards upon women than men. But, by her own admission, she was also a bit of an asshole. Lexie came to the conclusion that trait must be hereditary, since her father, who had walked out on the family when she was barely a year old, had also, coincidentally, been a massive fucking dickhead. Meanwhile, Joey had inherited all the good aspects of the family genes, which came from their mother, who was practically an angel.

God, Lexie really hated him sometimes.

There was nothing wrong with some harmless sibling rivalry, except for the fact that Joey knew far too much about Lexie's life than she would prefer. For instance, he was the only person, other than her teacher Mrs Pearson, and her best friend Ruby, that knew she was an absolute fucking genius at science and maths – if that got out to the rest of the school, it would be absolutely catastrophic for her reputation.

Her brother was also aware of other things Lexie considered dangerous; like when she was upset, or when she was angry. Despite her best efforts to squander any emotion that wasn't the epitome of the phrase 'fuck off', he could read her like a book. Joey knew that Lexie had a tell when she was lying. Even their mother, Melissa, had yet to see past Lexie's well constructed ability to lie convincingly, but Joey always caught her out without fail.

It wasn't exactly that Lexie lied often. In all fairness, it was mostly harmless white lies that didn't matter in the grand scheme of things. But, Lexie was a very secretive person, to the point that, even her twin brother, who knew pretty much anything there was to know about his sister, didn't know absolutely everything that went on in her life – and she preferred it that way.