Hopelessly In Love

"Felicity has finally made up with Ethel," Mildred told us as we sat together at lunch the next day. "I don't know why, though. Ethel treated her horribly and doesn't even care about Felicity." 

"She's probably using her for something," said Enid. I looked at Enid, confused by this assumption. 

"Well just think about it," she said. "Ethel doesn't value her friends. She does things on her own. Whenever she does hang around with people, it's because she wants something. Clarice, for example. She was just using Clarice so that she could get her revenge on Mildred for taking her place as head girl. As soon as she didn't care about that anymore, she just dropped Clarice. She doesn't actually care about Felicity, or want to be her friend. She's just taking advantage of her. Meaning that she's up to something." 

"Probably her pathetic plan to become HB's favourite student," said Maud. I frowned at this. "Sorry Ana," Maud said. 

But Enid was right. Ethel wouldn't have just made up with Felicity because she suddenly decided she wanted to be friends with her again. She would have picked her up when she needed something from her. 

I felt bad for Felicity. She was smart and always got good grades. But Ethel was smart in a different way. Ethel was sly. Skilful. Felicity, more emotionally intelligent and hard working, but often oblivious to Ethel's tricks. 

As my friends continued chatting amongst themselves, my attention shifted towards a certain potions teacher sitting at the teachers' table on the other side of the dining hall. It was my first time seeing her after discovering my hopeless, undying love for her. Watching her smile as she spoke to Miss Cackle made my heart melt. I couldn't hear her due to the noise of the chattering in the busy hall, but I watched her in happiness as she ate her lunch. 

I did, indeed, love her. She was my world and I couldn't describe the immense joy I felt whenever I was near her. My love for Hecate grew more and more every second I spent looking at her. She seemed so precious to me. I strangely felt as though it was my responsibility to protect Hecate. Even considering how strong, brave and independent she was compared to me, I had this instinct to look after her and care for her. Whenever anyone said something hurtful about her, I felt it as though it was about me. My gorgeous Hecate was so misunderstood and I couldn't help but feel bad for her. I wished that everyone else would see in her what I saw in her. 

Everyone always seemed to perceive her as scary and harsh, but she was such a sweetheart, really. She was soft, sensitive and possessed a heart of pure gold. But her life hadn't been all fun and games and as a result of that, she closed herself off from the world. She feared that by letting herself be exposed to people, she would get hurt. And that's why I felt the need to protect her. She acted as though she was this unfazed, unbreakable superhuman. But in reality, she was just as broken as the rest of us. 

Not only did I need Hecate, but Hecate needed me. No one else knew her like I did. I had to protect her at all costs. So whatever Ethel was up to, to try and break us apart, I had to stop her. 

If Ethel succeeded, I would be truly heartbroken. I loved Hecate more and more by the minute and I couldn't live without her.