Comfort

It was like a wake up call for everyone. Reminding them of the one thing they had seemed to forget.

Death can happen in an instant.

"Are you coming to the South Pole with me?" Tenzin asked. "No, you should be with your family." Lin said. "I know. That's why I asked." Tenzin sat down next to her.

"My father meant as much to you as he did to me. You shouldn't be alone. We're having a family dinner to celebrate his life. Firelord Zuko and Izumi will be there. Please come with me, Lin." He said.

Lin sighed and stood up. She got her shoes and coat on and headed for the door. "Are we going to the south or not?" She looked back at Tenzin, who was still sitting on heir couch. He gave her a smile and followed her out the door.

"Mother, it's nice to see you." Tenzin hugged Katara tightly. "Lin, I was hoping you'd come." Katara said.

Lin gave a sheepish smile, turning her attention to the brown haired girl behind Katara. Kya was standing over the sink scrubbing a plate with a rag. More than likely dishes from breakfast this morning. "I didn't know you'd be here, Kya." Tenzin said. "Why wouldn't I be?" Kya asked.

Tenzin shrugged his shoulders. "Just figured you'd be too busy traveling." He said, a hint of annoyance in his voice.

"Been here since dad died." Kya said under her breath.

"Come on, lets go sit." Tenzin placed a hand on Lin's lower back, leading her into the living room.

Wanting to avoid the awkward silence between her and her own fiance, she caught Katara's shoulder passing by. "Do you need any help cooking?" Lin asked. "Thank you so much, Lin." Katara said.

Lin followed her into the kitchen.

"Don't worry about those, dear, it's just a couple plates. I'll get them later." Katara placed a hand on Kya's shoulder. Kya sat the dish back down in the sink and dried her hands off with a towel.

"Hey." Lin said with a smile. Kya nodded and pushed past her, leaving Lin without a response.

"Don't mind her. It's been a rough few weeks since Aang's passing." Katara said. "I.. uh, I'm sorry." Lin said. "It's alright." Katara put her hands on Lin's shoulders and smiled at her. "Let's start cooking." She said.

Everyone was around the table, filling their plates and talking.

"There they were.. the troops we had been looking for for weeks! I ran to go save them, then out of no where... three saber-tooth moose lions came running towards me! I threw one over my shoulder, I tackled one to the ground, then, just as I was about to be eaten alive, I swung a hard left hook and-" "Bumi, please!" Tenzin interrupted him.

"Can't we just have one normal dinner without you're crazy made up stories?" Tenzin said. Lin tensed up at this sudden urge of annoyance.

Bumi crossed his arms. "This isn't just some normal dinner, Tenzin. I apologize for trying to lighten up the mood a bit." He said.

Tenzin sunk back in his chair. "Guy's please. Stop arguing and get over yourselves. You're causing a scene." Kya said.

Tenzin scoffed a bit. "Yeah, like you have room to talk about causing a scene." He said under his breath. Lin hit him in the arm.

"What?" Kya glared at him.

"Kids, please. Can we please enjoy this dinner." Katara said. Tenzin, Kya, and Bumi all exchanged sorrowful looks at each other. "Yes, mother." Tenzin said.

"Yeah."

"Sorry, Mom."

Tenzin paused before taking another bite of his food. "Wheres Firelord Zuko? And Izumi?" He asked.