From enemies, to friends, to lovers

Hey guys, author here lolz. Disclaimer: I'm very frustrated with how the plots going in this chapter. I might edit it later on, but I think I'm just going to keep going with the story for now as this is just very annoying for me atm

<3

Billy turns towards his next class, chemistry. He's required to take one science, and although he cannot stand science, chem is tolerable enough. Steve's his lab partner, so it's at least entertaining and fun. 

He'd been walking with Tommy, the two of them discussing a freshman who'd slipped at lunch and sent the contents of their lunch tray flying. Billy found this rather funny for the sole reason that he thinks freshmen are highly annoying.

Billy hadn't seen Steve at lunch, he's a little relieved, but he also really misses that idiot. They hadn't been talking much... Billy doesn't really want to say it, but he'd been avoiding the brunette. 

 He gives Tommy a wave before turning his gaze down the hall. He catches a glimpse of Steve. Steve whose face is twisted between confusion, anger, and sadness. Steve stands still, his eyes meeting Billy's momentarily, making his expression go dark.

A few people are glancing at him and Steve looks around at them. He looks so distressed. Billy takes a step in his direction but stops when Steve walks the opposite way.

Billy doesn't see Steve in chem, nor does he see him at practice that afternoon.

He decides he might as well drive by his friend's house on his way home, feeling worried. Steve's car is in the driveway when Billy arrives, releasing some of the tension in his body. At least that fuck hadn't gone off somewhere.

The blonde walks up to the door and knocks once. No answer. He knocks again a little more forcefully, and still, Steve doesn't come to the door. He reaches for the knob. It's unlocked. Billy steps into the entryway. "Steve?" He calls.

Billy steps in and hears footsteps on the stairs. Steve's face comes into view and Billy begins to get the feeling something had gone terribly wrong. Steve stays a few steps up the staircase, intentionally creating distance between them. "What do you want?"

The Californian is taken aback by this. The fuck had he done to receive this reaction?

"I came to check on you... You left out of nowhere," Billy justifies.

Steve grimaces. "You came to... check on me?" He mutters, a bitter tone in his voice. Steve steps down and shoves Billy backward. "You asshole. I should've known we couldn't be friends. I must look like such a fool to you, huh? Was Tommy in on it, too?"

Billy gapes.The hell?

"Steve, what the fuck are you on about?" He says, maintaining some confidence in his tone.

"You think just because I was nice to you, just because I hung out with you and wanted you to stay over that I was in love with you or something? Well, I wasn't... I'm not! I trusted you... Fuck I was starting to really like you too," Steve's voice begins to break.

"And maybe... maybe I thought..." No, he can't give Billy such satisfaction. It would just be all the more torturous for himself later on if Billy knew he was right."I don't even know myself! I... I don't know anything... But, god, I don't even want to look at you!" He shouts, sitting on the stairs now and resting his chin on his knee.

Billy stands still. His eyes are wide, staring at Steve. Steve is... crying. What the fuck had happened?

"Steve... I don't know what you think I did... I don't even know what you're talking about... I just know I didn't do anything shitty enough to get this kind of reaction out of you," He says, extremely softly.