Arcade games, confessions and confusion

A/N: My writing may have changed a little, but I like the way it sounds more now and I hope it's more pleasant to read:)

☂︎

Steve reaches his car, still in his gym clothes. Sweat dripping from his forehead, his heart beating rapidly in his chest. He was glad that hadn't turned into a shit show and he knew at tomorrow's practice he'd get a few stares, maybe a couple shoves, nothing major. Although Tommy might give him a time, he'd deal.

Steve starts his car, the faint rumble of its engine humming as he shifts his gears from park to reverse and backs out of his parking spot. The brunette sighs, driving out of the lot and heading into town.

Hawkins was never interesting until about a year ago, that's when all this started. When I first got involved with Nance and all. I don't think about it much. I'll admit, I'm glad Hawkins is dull again. I just need to get out of this town as soon as I graduate. Since basketball practice was a mess, I need something to do... To distract me.

As though he weren't even thinking, Steve was driving to Henderson's. As much as he disliked to admit it, his best friends were in middle school. Dustin being the senior's favorite. He'd had some great times with those kids; Dustin, Mike, Lucas, Will, and Jane. He liked driving them to school occasionally and seeing them in the bleachers at his basketball games. His ideal activity to do with the young group was going to the arcade. The mindless fun was nice for Harrington.

All the golden boy needed was mindless fun. He was hoping his not-quite-toothless friend would be around so he could take the kids out to the arcade and maybe by them some milkshakes if he was feeling generous.

Pulling into the driveway of his set destination, he hops out of his car and jogs up to the door. The chill in the air was getting worse as the weeks went on and Steve hated it. He rings the doorbell, waits for a few seconds, and rings it again.

"I'm coming!" Steve hears from inside. A clatter sounded and a mid-puberty voice exclaimed, "Son of a bitch!", causing a laugh to erupt from the brunette's mouth. Dustin opens the door and then grins. "Steve," Dustin began. "You'll never guess what happened at school today."

Resisting shifting into mom-mode, Harrington nods, "I'm sure I won't but can we head out? I'm freezing my ass off."

"Yeah, yeah. Where are we headed, Captain Steve?" Dustin asks as he gets into the passenger seat. Steve glances up at his mirror, adjusts it and says, "Arcade. Are your buddies busy?"

Dustin thought for a moment, "No, Mike had to finish some homework but knowing his mom, it's done," Dustin giggles and Steve smiles. The young boy was one of Steve's favorite people.

Just as quickly as he'd arrived, our Golden Boy was out of the driveway and on his way to get the others. The order of go for pickups went Dustin, Mike (who was usually with El), Will, Max, and then El (In the case she's not with Mike). Even though it didn't make sense to get Dustin first, considering Will's house came first on Steve's preferred path, Dustin insisted on always being picked up first. Dustin always took charge of the radio and sung his heart out while the others chatted in the back. Steve was calm, his day may have been shit but at least he could have some fun before returning to isolation.

"Holy shit Steve, there's this guy who just moved here... I think his name's Dan. He's such a dick!" Mike exclaimed and the other burst into a conversation about their experiences with the boy they spoke of. Steve listens in, but his blood boils when he hears about something this Dan kid had said to one of his kids.

"He called Will a... well... a fag," Max says quietly and glances at Will. The big-brown-eyed boy looks up from his lap with sad eyes. "Yeah... It was in gym class. We were playing dodgeball and I'm not very good at it.. and he was calling me a pussy and then he said it.. and.. and..." Will's voice trembles causing Mike to fume.