09

Work is dull, as usual

Work is dull, as usual. The lack of customers and co-workers during this slump in the week gave me enough reason to use my phone for most of the shift, and coming down to the 30 minutes I have left, nothing seems to change.

I bend over on the podium with my head propped up in my hand, scrolling through various social media apps for minutes at a time. Before I've had my fill, a notification pops up at the top of my screen.

"Are you coming tonight...?" I read the message to myself.

Ah. Akaashi must be referring to dinner tonight with Koutarou.

I respond quickly to him with a simple "yes, after work" before asking him the same question.

Before long, my phone starts to vibrate in my hand, and Akaashi's contact picture appears on the screen. I furrow my eyebrows since he never calls. In fact, the only other time I remember him calling instead of sending a text was the one time he accidentally dialled from his pocket.

Nevertheless, I call out to the kitchen to let the cooks know that I'll be back, and they look unfazed in response. They had been tossing a spatula between them for a while already, and it didn't seem like they would stop just because I was leaving.

I rush to the backroom in just enough time to answer Akaashi on the sixth buzz.

"Hello?"

"Oh, hi, (Y/N)," Akaashi responds. It's quiet on his end of the line, and so his voice rings out clear as day.

"Hi... Is something wrong?" I ask tentatively. The only other reason I can think of for him to call is that something horrible has just happened.

"Oh, no, not at all. I was wondering if you were off work yet." He says. In the background, there's a muffled honking sound, reminiscent of a car alarm.

"Not yet, I'll be off in about half an hour. Why's that?" I question, and he pauses for a moment.

"I just finished with school stuff. Since we're both meeting Bokuto for dinner tonight, I could pick you up. You're on the way." Akaashi replies.