Prologue

There was a dark, agonizing silence. Tiny claws feeble around a smooth surface. The coldness of the glass was soothing; they began to rub harder and more quickly. Something cracked. A small figment of their imagination? An actual sound? An emotion, or a feeling? He did not know what it was or if it was an actual thing. The crack was spreading up the walls, they were crashing down on him. Flames encircling him and setting the poor dragonet aflame. He watched his talons change colors, perhaps for the first time in his life. But they soon turned black and began to drift away like particles of sand (Avengers, anyone? XD). His eyes turned red, his veins visible and pulsing from the scorching heat. The pain was unbearable. It swallowed him whole, until he couldn't feel anything anymore. Chanting voices circled around him, somehow spinning faster and faster until he felt dizzy himself. He felt sick to his stomach. 

His eyes blinked shut one last time, and when they opened up he was back in his room. The small, pale green Rainwing laid in his hammock, drenched in his own sweat. He wondered if the whole dream was only his body telling him to cool down. Maybe he was developing a fever? Possibly. Or maybe just opening the windows should do the trick. The Rainwing stumbled to his feet, falling face flat on the floor before regaining his balance and stepping over the stacks of paper lying around.

His room was small, at least, small compared to everyone else's in the school. He had enough room to do a small lap around the cave and not break a sweat. It was like he'd barely have the room to run or stretch out his wings. It was quite the mess as well. There were stacks of papers and sketches everywhere. Messes of them plastered over the floor, stacked on a pair of empty bookshelves and on Chameleon's desk. He looked at his bookshelves, exasperated. They were perfectly empty, books and scrolls fit together perfectly well when he first arrived at the school. But his friend kept asking for them to help him study, and Chameleon somehow always found the generosity to lend them to him. Even if they never returned. Chameleon knew there were other copies at the library, but every time he borrowed them, he always felt like he was relying on someone else for something he should already have. But what did that mean about his friend?

Chameleon's eyes shot up like a bullet. Realization shocked him, his nerves panicking and racing through his legs and making him dizzy.

"The schoolyard!" He cried out. Chameleon stuffed his satchel with whatever he thought he'd need for school-at least, his first three periods so he could grab everything else between classes-and zipped out of the cave towards the dreaded school that he'd come to call home.