Part 2

Robert felt strange standing on Jimmy Page's front door on an early sunny afternoon, a battered old suitcase in one hand and a flimsy jacket in the other.

it was the moment of truth; he really should ring the bell already.

Though being quite the novice Robert knew how much relied on chemistry and this invitation to Page's house at Pangbourne was just that; a study in compatibility.

In the singer's eyes, music was a marriage of souls instead of voice and instruments so this was quite appropriate.

He finally summoned up enough courage and rang the bell.

It took a few moments before the door was answered by a gorgeous woman, scantily dressed in what appeared to be some sort of a net curtain.

Robert's mouth opened as his suitcase abruptly landed on the ground, the only thought in his mind was 'I love the Yardbirds'.

"Shit...and it's still day light" he said under his breath.

"You alright, love?" asked the girl looking at him as if he were brain damaged.

Robert had to force himself to stop staring at her and as he finally came round he managed to say, "I'm here to see Jimmy".

"Oh sure, you're Robert?" she asked, and when he nodded she motioned for him to go in.

Robert quickly picked up the suitcase and followed her into the plush boathouse, secretly admiring the back view.

Jimmy was in a back room with large glass windows facing the river; a large acoustic guitar was in his hands, making the guitarist look frail.

Page was a waif at twenty four, bone thin and delicate, his long back tresses falling down on his back as he swayed to the melody his was playing.

He was strumming away quite beautifully and with obvious skill that made Robert jealous since his own playing was just okay and nothing remotely close to being impressive.

But with Jimmy it was another thing all together. It wasn't just chords he was playing- it was something like weaving an intricate thread and no words could describe it; you could only feel it.

The music stopped and Jimmy turned round to face the intruder to this most inner sanctum.

"Oh, you're here already" he said as he saw it was Robert.

Robert felt a cold sting, once again that alienating ambiance from Jimmy and suddenly he came to feel something akin to fear.

Here he was a penniless kid coming from the Black Country to posh London and into the house of a man that much older than himself, a seasoned and talented musician.

"Yeah, I took the early train" the singer managed to utter, half whispered, "What was it that you were playing before?" he asked with renewed confidence.

Jimmy laughed, it was interesting to find Plant so timid and yet so confidante all at the same time.

"Oh, just something I wrote. I meant it for the Yardies...but, you know..." Jimmy answered, you could tell by the look in his face he was aching to play again as a part of a group. It must have pained him, their recent disbandment.

The net curtain girl came in, this time wearing something a bit more decent, and waltzing over to Jimmy she quickly pecked him on the lips and said her goodbyes.

"You going then?" he asked, she nodded and scampered off.

"Hungry, Plant?" asked Jimmy and Robert seemed to slip back into his shy demure once again.