Part 3

The next time Jimmy saw Robert was at a Tim Rose gig, the teen had urged him to come down and check out his drumming mate John 'Bonzo' Bonham.

They were fearsome chums since the age of fifteen, playing together for beer money, having an infamous reputation in their home town and by all accounts most people, as the mere sight of the pair would cross to the other side of the street.

It was an awkward meeting at first; a sudden shyness that Jimmy thought was utterly gone seemed to be once again emanating from Robert as he obviously contemplated their hasty coupling at Pangbourne.

But it wasn't so for Jimmy, the very sight of Robert, that gleaming mop of soft curls, cheeks all flushed and blue eyes racing, only seemed to perpetuate his desire for the singer. This time Jimmy knew he won't settle on such a short and rough climax- he wanted more.

But he was here on business; he couldn't just drag Robert somewhere and...preposterous! Leave it be for now, he said to himself.

Bonham was much like Robert, that easy going midland comfort of a person extremely down to earth.

But the second that Jimmy heard his crushing thunderous drumming, it was clear to him that Robert wasn't talking trash.

Jimmy had never heard drums being played like that before, must reasonably good drummers had a decent rhythm and kept timing, being heard somewhere in the background at best.

But Bonham was literally murdering the skins, hitting hard with a passion which made his presence known, a momentous and larger than life collision.

If Jimmy wasn't sure of the extent of the sound he was looking for, he was certain of it now.

He had found that heavy factor in the form of John Bonham.

The only real problem was that Bonzo had other offers, Tim Rose was keeping him in good stock, and the kind of secure living he'd never had before.

Bonham had a young wife and a baby, his fear to risk that income stability was quite understandable.

Unbeknownst to Jimmy and Robert, Joe Cocker was also interested in the drummer.

"Rob, you sly dog!" called out Bonzo when he spotted the singer backstage after the gig.

"Haven't heard of you in months, what's that you been up to?" asked the drummer, wiping at his brow and the two mates exchanged a brief hug and Robert received a punch on his shoulder.

"You know, a cat always lands on his feet...I've actually joined Jimmy Page's group."

"The Yardies?" asked Bonzo, "aren't they a bit done?"

"Yeah, it's a new line up and to be quite frank Bonzo, that's why I'm here."

"Ha!" exclaimed Bonzo "I knew you weren't just pinning to see me."

Robert grabbed the drummer by the lapels of his jacket, "Bonzo, you've just GOT to join the Yardbirds!"

"Well I'm happy where I am, aren't I?" answered the drummer as he carefully removed the singers hands and gave him another punch on the shoulder.

Hobbstweedle's keyboard player's father owned a pub in Wolverhampton and Robert settled in the spare room when Terry left for the Stones' tour.

"Is that exactly what he said?" asked Jimmy as the two entered the room now.

The singer turned the lights on, revealing his oh so very humble abode.

"It's a certified quote Jimmy" answered Robert, "but don't worry, I've known Bonzo for some time now and I'm sure he'll come around, all we need to do is to keep the pressure going. He won't fail me; he'll come to see what's right."