4 | young and sweet, only seventeen

❝ Friendship is the hardest thing in the world to explain

❝ Friendship is the hardest thing in the world to explain. It's not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything. ❞ -Muhammad Ali

Two of Remus Lupin's closest friends in the whole world were, respectively, James Potter and Lily Evans

Two of Remus Lupin's closest friends in the whole world were, respectively, James Potter and Lily Evans. Who spent the first five and a half years at Hogwarts not getting along. It would be reasonable to assume that having a mutual best friend would make two people bond with one-another, but either James and Lily were really not meant to ever see eye to eye, or Remus sucked at bringing his friends together.

He convinced himself it had to be the latter.

It didn't make sense-just last weekend, Lily joined him and the rest of the Marauders as they were having lunch at The Three Broomsticks, and then her and James went for a walk together (that lasted a bit too long to be "just a walk", but that was besides the point.) And now? They were back to giving each other the cold shoulder, as if that weekend in Hogsmeade never happened. Remus could confidently say he knew them both like the back of his hand, but when it came to their dynamic with one-another, it was like dealing with two entirely different people.

" . . . I mean, are they or are they not making progress?" he carried on venting to Sirius and Peter as he paced back and forth in the empty Common Room. "I thought they were warming up to each other. Isn't that what Prongs said? That they're on friendly terms now? And even Lily, when I asked her about it the other day in the library! 'Yeah, James and I talk these days.' Well, what's this then? They're friends one day, then pretend the other doesn't exist the next?"

"Mate, why does that still shock you?" Peter said. "What else is new with the two of them?"

He wiped drops of sweat off his forehead and leaned against the fireplace, visibly relieved that he'd finally figured out how to light it the muggle way. He grabbed the poker and started prodding at the blazing logs.

"Yeah, Moony," said Sirius through a mouthful of chocolate from where he lay sprawled across the sofa. "You've got to stop working yourself up about this. It's James and Lily we're talking about. This is how they function. It's only a matter of time before they admit how smitten with each other they are."