3 | it's a love story, baby, just say yes!

❝ It's not exactly love at first sight

❝ It's not exactly love at first sight. It is more like soul recognition. ❞ -Lynette Simeone

Lily's fingertips brushed the surface of the mirror, delicate hands gloved in periwinkle blue lace

Lily's fingertips brushed the surface of the mirror, delicate hands gloved in periwinkle blue lace. The colour matched the intricate designs of her golden tulle dress and the lace complimented that of the cap sleeves and high neckline. The outfit had been a birthday present from her parents for her sweet sixteen a couple months prior, and as mesmerizing as it was, Lily never had an occasion to wear it until now.

Tonight was the annual Valentine's Dance.

Despite occurring every year, it took until her second to last year of Hogwarts for Lily to finally decide to attend. Not that she didn't enjoy a good party-though she found the rowdy ones that the Gryffindors threw after every Quidditch win awfully annoying. As most teenagers, she, too, looked forward to a fun celebration with her friends every now and then, letting loose for one night, enjoying a nice break from her rigorous studies or Prefect duties.

However, the concept of the Valentine's Dance did not appeal to her. Maybe because of the unspoken pressure most students felt to attend it with a date, given the romantic nature of the holiday, so not a single year had passed without her receiving an unsolicited invitation by at least three boys, all of whom she'd always have to decline. And of course, nobody took the cake quite like James Potter with his grandiose proposals that left her feeling nothing but uncomfortable.

Only as recently as their fifth year, he found a way to clear out the Front Courtyard during one of her Transfiguration classes, so he could pull off an ostentatious demonstration that involved him serenading her while a group of ten boys made sparkling letters in the air with their wands that spelled out, "Evans, will you be my Valentine?" The proposal ended up drawing the attention of not only her entire class (McGonagall included!) but all other classes that were in session during that time and had a window facing the Front Courtyard. Potter thought he outdid himself in a gesture he probably deemed the pinnacle of romance, but Lily only stormed off, her face flushed in humiliation.

When he had the nerve to ask her why his stupid proposal didn't work, she had to furiously explain that grand gestures of supposed chivalry that put someone on the spot came across as nothing but selfish and manipulative. She knew that everyone anticipated a definitive yes from her for an answer, and anything less would make her look like a bitch for turning down one of the school's biggest heartthrobs, who had gone oh so above and beyond to display his love.