{Oak Trees} - Chapter Three

Sirens blared overhead, the smell of sterilization stung his nose. He wanted to vomit, cry and curl up in a corner; to not let those—those vermin come anywhere near him. However, the only way that could happen is if he didn't stop running, he was so close to escaping.

His abilities didn't work well under pressure, the stuff back in the containment laboratory was just a lucky fluke, he wouldn't blow it this time. He wouldn't feel regret for what he had done, after all hadn't they done much worse?

He continued a bit further down the hall, knowing they were most likely blocking off his main means of escape by the moment, so he had to think fast.

A bit earlier during that week during his transportation on site, he overheard a few guards talking about the sewers being blocked off due to some SCP managing to escape down there. Apparently, it was being made into a temporary containment chamber until they got the necessary staff on site to deal with the thing.

Thinking about it, he'd rather take his chances with whatever was in the sewers and the lower amount of staff that would presumably be stationed there.

He checked nearby, he remembered vividly that there was a fire alarm trigger here somewhere. He smiled as he spotted it, his memory wasn't failing him after all, quickly he pulled the trigger on the alarm and the lights changed color from a vibrant red to a deep orange and a different ear piercing siren echoed throughout the hallway.

All he had to do was find a way into the sewers, dodge whatever was in there and he'd be a free man.

Right?

.

(Be-)

.

What's that sound?

.

(Beep! Be-)

.

It's so loud, so annoying...

.

.

.

(Beep! Beep! Bee-)

Tommy hissed, "Shut up, will you?"

As Tommy opens his eyes the blue light from the subway cart light slightly burns his retinas. Rubbing his eyes he presses the "dismiss" option on his phone and takes his headphones out of his ears. Tommy massaged the backs of his ears, he wasn't even listening to anything yet they still hurt.

Examining his surroundings, the Subway cart was pretty full as it was later into the afternoon on a Saturday. Tommy looked around, nobody seemed to have noticed (or cared about) his outburst.

Good. Better than the alternative...I guess.

Tommy patted the black backpack he held tightly against his form, even in his sleep. Inside it held the necessities among a few other things he could take with him without becoming a hindrance.

They had found him again, but he had managed to escape once again by the skin of his teeth. He jokingly contemplated going back for his stack of strawberry popsicles he had left in his freezer, but he was smarter than that.

By just a bit but still!

Slumping back in his seat, he groaned internally. He was going to have to start over again. It was always a pain living in a constant cycle of: Escape, Settle Down, Get Spotted and Repeat but it was necessary, always being on the move was the price for the key to the chains that had once shackled him and the key to his continued freedom.