⁘Chapter 8⁘

Tara Patel

I was used to sexist business officials. They weren't something new, I was often mocked about how I chose to stick with a 'feminine' area of business. Make-up. I didn't think of it as feminine, I thought of it as something that hid insecurities and showed the world that beauty from the outside reflected beauty inside too. I sighed to myself, the luxurious hotel room didn't seem to even come close to touching the comforts of home. The sink was on, I quickly splashed water and began cleaning off my makeup. The moment the foundation wore off, you could see a light scar zigzagging down from my neck to the right corner of my lower lip.

It was a proud part of me now. A businessman had once attempted sexual assault, in the end, he'd ended up with a dislocated arm. To make things worse, the official was someone I'd trusted dearly. Ajay's step-brother. He'd claimed that he was only drunk, I didn't understand how that was even a valid excuse. I'd been in a car crash that day, I'd made it out of the wreck, called the ambulance and kept myself awake. I was extremely proud of that. My mind drifted to Shreyas, as I scoffed to myself, wiping away the droplets. "Go ahead invite Sheikh before you even run it by me, even though I'm the one who planned this whole thing. Not that I mind at all."

Varun chuckled softly behind me, and patted my head. "Your crush is getting worse, Tara." He'd been pining after my cousin, Darsha, for years now. Her response was always the same and I repeated it to him now, "Your too childish!"

"Tara, you've gotten an offer to be a model-" He started but I cut him off instantly, flopping down onto the large crimson couch. "Rejected."

"Tara-"

I sighed, rubbing my temples, this was not a conversation I wanted to have now. "I wanted to make it big as a business woman, not a model or actress. Varun, you should know this by now."

He threw his hands in the air and muttered curses, "We could use the money."

Shreyas's name flashed on my phone, I quickly picked up his call and unhooked my AirPods. "What do you want?"

"May 17th," said Shreyas. I frowned, that date had nothing special involved. That's when it struck me like a moving train, our engagement date! How could I forget that? Good Grief, I've been getting mood swings lately.

"That's soon." Shreyas sighed on the other side, I shrugged before realizing he couldn't see my action. "And?"

"And, I want time, Tara!" His voice raised slightly, "I don't want to get married to you that quickly."

"Feelings mutual," I shot back, my teeth clenched slightly. Ajay was much more agreeable, and a lot sweeter. Not to mention, I loved him. Shreyas groaned, "Tara, your impossible! You need to run it by me if your going to do something important that involves the both of us."

"Right, and you did that with Sheikh?" I huffed, he fell silent. This was an opening and I wasn't about to miss it, "And Shreyas, when we were making a new contract I clearly stated the engagement date! What part of 'read the fine print' did you not understand? You didn't flunk English did you?"

My barbing comments seemed to have affected him, a second later the call was cut. I grinned smugly, and Varun raised an eyebrow, "Poor Guy. He has to live with the devil now."

"Devil?" I scoffed, I knew much more cunning people and Shreyas was one of them. "God, kill me now!"

As if hearing my wish, the world was neatly folded into a black box. My eyelids squeezed shut, and suddenly, I was unconscious.

***

GOAL: FIVE COMMENTS AND VOTES
MUAHHHAAHAH