Chapter 53

Everything around Onyedikachi grew hazy as he was seated staring into space. He could hear cracks and felt the sting of heartbreak as his heart tore into pieces. His breathing labourous even as he gasped for air. He needed clarity for the pandemonium of confusion that thrummed in his mind.

It couldn't be! His father was truly Obanma's father too!

The room grew hotter with every passing moment and he had to unbutton his shirt.

"Are you okay Mister?" The doctor enquired and all he could afford to do was nod his head.

"The other test result .." The doctor proceeded only to be interupted by Chijioke.

"There's no need doctor we won't be needing it anymore. We have all the information we need"

Chijioke and Onyedikachi left the hospital with dejection written all over their features. The pair only thought of the implications of what they had discovered.

"You know what this means for you" Chijioke opined as they approached the vehicle that had conveyed them to the hospital.

Onyedikachi only stared at Chijioke in disbelief. Did the man even know that he was in immesurable pains?

"We will have to tell her , I don't know if you would be the right person to do it or me ,but she has .."

"Chijioke please just shut up! Shut your hole up! Do you even care about how I'm feeling right now ! Do you know what this will do to Mma"

"Oh this is not about you Onyedikachi! This is more than both of us ! I have a father who is rotting in prison because of this! For years I've hated the man thinking he acted out of stupidity and it turns out his allegations were right ! I have a young sister who would be shamed or ostracized if words about this gets out . You should have never touched my sister "

"And you think now is the perfect time to toss blames around you bastard!!"

"She is in this mess because of you !" Chijioke barked angrily as he launched at Onyedikachi

Punches danced around as the pair threw themselves on the floor in a pointless tussle.

"Inukwa! So now you're blaming me for this ! You really are an inconsiderate pig. "

"My sister was just fine before you waltzed into her life and look at the mess you brought with you !"

"I had absolutely nothing to do with this! Enough already!" Onyedikachi yelled as Chijioke's final punch landed on his lips,tearing the flesh to release blood . The pair stood, panting in silence before Onyedikachi finally spoke.

"I am not going to be the one who breaks her heart. You're her only brother and that is the way it will remain .I suggest you keep this from Mma except you want the truth to come from your lips " Onyedikachi spat out blood ,taking note of the spectators that had gathered from afar. Their bodies were tainted with dirt and a patch of sand clung stealthily on the back of Chijioke's hair.

Chijioke nodded in aquiesance as he
reached out to shake Onyedikachi's hands for reasons he couldn't fathom. He had been furious with how powerless the test had left him . He was hoarding a news that had been eating him up inside and only lashed out on Onyedikachi to ease his discomfort. The young man was also a victim as much as Obanma and his own image could be tainted too.

Onyedikachi hesitantly shook Chijioke's hands and turned to walk away.

"What are you going to do? "Chijioke enquired as he watched Onyedikachi intently.

"I am going to disappear . It'll give her ample time to loathe and finally forget me"

Chijioke couldn't help the sense of foreboding that got over him as he watched Onyedikachi disappear. The people who had gathered seemed to whisper and point at him which led to him quickly jumping into the vehicle while waiting for their driver.