Chapter 60

"We will call Mr. Obidike and tell him the truth ,right after you explain what exactly transpired between you and Chidozie" Agatha demanded as she settled back on the bed .

She had told her husband that she had a pending discussion with her sister immediately Obanma left.

"I told him she's not his "

"Ngozi you'd have to tell him the truth,besides I don't think he believes you . Why would he show up here after so many years ? "

"He can't know the truth , what do you think everyone will think of me ?"

"Exactly what they'll think of you if you do not say the truth. You have been in a coma for years, you truly did not witness what this whole thing did to your children. Ngozi be reasonable,all of us are tired of the lies,hate and shame. You didn't have an affair with Dozie but he was found half naked in a room with you and Iheanyi claims there was more that transpired between you two. Ngozi biko you've remembered so many things,now is the time to set things right "

Ngozi seemed disconcerted with different emotions playing on her face . She reclined to the bed where her sister sat and exhaled.

"Chidozie said he was going to talk to Chidiogo about it,I didn't know he didn't. After my miscarriage he decided he was going to intervene. He had rejected so many times when I asked for help saying it was not right for him to interfere in another man's marriage. I almost lost my life, I believe that made him rethink his stance. Obanma had seen Iheanyi on some days during his escapades with his concubines . I got fed up , I had to leave because I was slowly dying on the inside. Chidozie sent his son Onyedikachi to give me a parcel.

He said it contained the deeds to the land and had encouraged me to leave with our youngest children. I had suggested that to him. Obanma and Obinna were too young to be left alone but Adaugo and Chijioke were quite older.

Chidozie said he wanted to get a buyer but he couldn't.

That morning I could remember hearing him greet people before he got to the door and started knocking.

He came into the living room and he saw ..."

Agatha couldn't help the thudding of her heart as her sister narrated the incident that had occured at her home years ago.

"Ngozi what did he see ?"

Ngozi took in bouts of deep breaths and continued with her story .

"He saw him.. I c..ant .. remember his name , his face ... He saw the man. He said he would reveal the truth to Iheanyi,he would make us pay."

"Ngozi you'd have to try hard to remember what he looked like . O di mkpa.  We can't get him if we don't know what he looks like . He could have had a hand in the attacks on your family too. Even though I won't be surprised if Chidiogo knows who he is "

"I can't remember his face , he didn't have a face . His voice seemed so familiar "

"Ngozi try to remember something else. How did Chidozie's clothes come off? Why were you in your wrapper?"

Ngozi closed her eyes, trying so hard to remember.

"I was never clothed , I wanted to shower .. . He was a thief !  He came into the house.

No! No! Chidozie thought he was a thief . He attacked first , Chidozie thought he was going to rape me . He attacked the thief . He punched the thief twice and he fell.

Chidozie told me to run ! 

He hit Chidozie on his head  and ...and .. " Ngozi's eyes suddenly flew open and she turned her sister.