chapter 49

Bruised

"Onyedikachi I am your mother! Would you just listen to me! Come back here!"

Onyedikachi's quick gait didn't falter as he made his way to the living room where he quickly grabbed his car keys. He headed into his room and picked up his black travel box where few of his clothes were neatly folded .

He could hear his mother's grouchy tone as she approached but the blood pounding in his head wouldn't let his decision waver.

"Onyi biko nodu zie ana ,so we can talk " Chidiogo pleaded as her son knotted his shoe laces,his box beside him. It was interesting how she quickly switched from demanding his attention to begging for it. It was a trick his mother was too good at. It would have worked on him if the transgression wasn't too heavy

"Onyedikachi you just got home...nna can't we just talk about this? Why are you taking their side!" The rise in Chidiogo's voice only seemed to cause Onyedikachi's to heart boil.

"Taking there side! Taking whose side!
That boy almost died in the hospital for goodness sake and that's all you can say eh! Your words are  ridiculous!  and you know it mother

That I am taking sides inukwa !Chijioke was stabbed and left to die! "

"Onyedikachi I never intended for that to happen! Don't make me the villain here I was trying to protect your brother!  "

Onyedikachi let out a bitter laugh and shook his head in utter disbelief still trying to comprehend all that he had heard .

"You know for years I have done my part trying to please you . I lied against Mma ,made her look like  a thief all because I was certain taking her side would hurt you"

" I did not leave that boy to die if that's why you're saying these words to me , I sought for help and I did get. How am I to blame? Wouldn't you have done the same for your brother? "

"We've tormented those children for the sins of their father for years ,called their family murderers . And while we cursed them we have also forgotten that what happened on that day took two people out of their lives as well .  And yes we were all supposed to hate each other because of the pain and uncertainty but it will not be so . Mother we are not the only victims !

I am utterly disappointed in you truly, for the pain you caused Chijioke . Call it taking their side ,I don't care but I will not come back to this house until you've fixed this .I don't care how you intend do it .

You were not protecting Arinze by hiring a thug no! That's what you tell yourself to assuage your conscience of the gnawing guilt!

You did this because you are full of hate."

Chidiogo,truculently managed to mutter her son's name as tears welled in her eyes.

"This is just too convenient for you isn't it? Discovering this after your silly marriage proposal"

" I don't recognize you any more . I do not want to believe that you are this cold hearted and that is all you care about right now . Do you even feel any remorse at all for what you've done or is this an eye for an eye thing? .

Have you even considered the fact that Chijioke would have died?

It doesn't even matter ,I'll sleep at Arinze's and I am leaving for Enugu tomorrow. Father would be disappointed in you too, he wouldn't have wanted any of this "

A resounding slap landed on Onyedikachi's cheek and be turned to see tears pouring from his mother's eyes. He felt heartbroken as he saw those glossy eyes but he knew he had to call his mother to order. Chijioke had mentioned that his family members had a hand in his attack but he dismissed it only to find out his mother had hired a thug to threaten and scare Chijioke who ended up stabbing him . That much she had told him  still he couldn't help but feel enraged .