9. the forbidden forest

Things couldn't have been worse.

Filch took the Gryffindors to McGonagall's study and then brought Aspen to Professor Flitwick's, where she now waited for him.

Excuses and ways for her to escape the issue swarmed her head. She didn't understand how they could be stupid enough to leave the Cloak up there. There was no way out of trouble this time. Flitwick would have no reason on earth to accept her being out of bed and creeping around the school in the dead of night, let alone being up the tallest Astronomy Tower, which was out-of-bounds except for classes. Add Norbert and the Invisibility Cloak, and she might as well be packing her bags already.

Professor Flitwick stood in front of her, "Miss Shaw, you do realise it is one o'clock in the morning?"

Aspen nodded mutely. She felt ashamed and embarrassed.

"You're a good student, Miss Shaw, why would you do this?"

She wanted to cry. Adults being disappointed was sometimes worse than them being angry.

"I'm going to have to take House points away if you don't give me an explanation," Professor Flitwick sighed. He was in his blue striped pyjamas with a matching nightcap in his hand.

"I had to... deal with some business before things got out of hand," she whispered into the piercing silence. "It was better this way."

Professor Flitwick sighed again. "Vague. But I appreciate you speaking up. You'll be given a detention." He fiddled with his nightcap. "I will only take away thirty points."

"Thank you, sir." Aspen stared at her converse.

"Now go to bed, and, please, stay there."

Aspen swiftly nodded her head and got out of the room as quickly as possible. It was hard to fall asleep that night, but she eventually did.

The days following were horrible. Gryffindor had lost one hundred and fifty points, putting them in last place for the House Cup. Word got leaked about who was out that night and it wasn't pretty. Harry would get congratulatory slaps on the back from Slytherins, delighted they were now in the lead. He was shunned by practically everyone else. Morag, Mandy, and Lisa avoided Aspen in the dorms and in classes. She still sat with Sue and Padma during meals, but they didn't talk to her as much. Hermione kept to herself and didn't attract any unnecessary attention. Neville, who somehow was also out of bed, was miserable, drowning in guilt.

Exams were drawing in and Aspen distracted herself with studying, it almost made her forget about their problems, almost.

The Stone was still out there. Snape was still trying to steal it. Quirrell still needed to stay strong, yet, apparently he had given in, according to Harry who told them he overheard a conversation.

The following morning a note arrived for Aspen.

Your detention will take place at eleven o'clock tonight.

Filch will be waiting in the entrance hall.

-Professor Flitwick

Aspen had forgotten about it. She didn't complain, she felt as though she deserved it.

That night, when she arrived at the entrance hall. Filch, Harry, Hermione, Neville, and Malfoy were already there. She had forgotten they got detentions too.

"Follow me," said Filch, lighting a lamp and leading them outside.

"I bet you'll think twice about breaking a school rule again, eh?" he said, leering at them. "Oh, yes... hard work and pain are the best teachers if you ask me... it's just a pity they let the old punishments die out... hang you by your wrists from the ceiling for a few days, I've got the chains still in my office, keep 'em well oiled in case they're ever needed... right, off we go, and don't think of running off, now, it'll be worse for you if you do."