SUMMER OF '94

As soon as Aspen got home from Kings Cross, she wanted to go back in time. She had forgotten to take the annual end-of-year photo with Jasmine, Harry, Hermione, and Ron. She felt horrible.

She owled Jasmine as soon as she could, politely requesting if the Hufflepuff wouldn't mind drawing them, showcasing her incredible artistic ability in a new way. It would be interesting to see how she imagined they would look in the 'photo.'

Aspen began to unpack her trunk in her bedroom when Margaret knocked on the door and sat down on the edge of her bed.

"So what did you do this year?"

The Shaw girl was placing her textbooks on her desk and looked up in surprise. "Sorry?"

"What did you and your misfit friends do this year?" Margaret repeated. She wasn't angry, only curious. "Ride a unicorn?"

"Nope," Aspen started unloading all of her jumpers. "I'm not sure you want to know. Nothing crazier than last year."

Margaret smoothed her hand over Aspen's duvet. "How was Hogsdeade?"

"Hogsmeade," Aspen corrected. "Very fun. It's a village not too far from school, there's shops and inns. There's a candy store called Honeydukes and it's absolutely marvellous."

"Sounds delightful," Aunt Margaret said. "How is Harry?"

Aspen grimaced. "He blew up his aunt before school started and stayed at the Leaky Cauldron. The Ministry got it all sorted out, but I bet the Dursleys are still furious. He also found out he has a godfather, but there's some complications so Harry's not able to live with him sadly."

"Oh my," said Margaret. "That's new." She paused then asked,

"Well, did you enjoy the year?"

"I always do."

It took Jasmine a week to reply, and when she did, it came with the artwork. Instead of just drawing the group of friends, she went above and beyond and painted them. It was gorgeous. The precision in Jasmine's paint brush strokes were incredible, she truly had a talent in art. Aspen put it next to their previous photos and all the other drawings Jasmine had already gifted her.

In the painting Jasmine was pouting her lips, Hermione was smiling brightly, Ron was dumping Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans into his mouth, Harry was laughing, and Aspen was making a mock-shocked face.

Dear Harry,

I hope you are well and enjoying your holiday so far. Hopefully the Dursleys aren't treating you too horribly and the threat of having a criminal godfather still hangs over them.

The moment I got home I forgot we took our annual photo, but luckily Jasmine was kind enough to paint one for us. If you don't know already, she is a fabulous artist.

Make sure you keep in touch with Sirius, I have a feeling we'll see him again some time soon.

September first can't come soon enough!

Aspen M. Shaw

The telephone was ringing and Aspen picked it up, only to be greeted with shrill screaming.

"Micah." she said firmly.

The screaming stopped and the voice of Jasmine's little brother said, "No, this is Michael, who the bloody hell is Micah?"

"Watch your language, mister," said Aspen, smiling. "I assume you want to hear of this year's events from someone besides your sister? You know, she's probably telling the truth."

"And you know I can't trust her, it's practically sibling-law, yet, you wouldn't know," he laughed and Aspen rolled her eyes. "Anyway, go on, explain..."

Aspen recited every event that happened as concise and quickly as possible.

"Wow, I guess she was telling the truth," Micah said in wonder. "Honestly, not as exciting as last year."

"Yeah, well, I'm not complaining," sighed Aspen.

"Hopefully next year is even more action packed!" Micah practically shouted over the telephone.

"Oh, Merlin, please, no," groaned Aspen. "I can't take any more of it!"

"Who's Merlin?"

Dear Aspen,

My holiday has been fine. The Dursleys are quite scared that Padfoot will show up and turn them into bats if I ask, it's quite amusing, actually.

Glad to hear that Jasmine was able to paint us! I bet it looks wonderful.

I've been keeping in touch with Sirius, he sounds like he is doing well.

Sometimes I notice my scar hurting slightly, but maybe curse scars just do that? I know you'll probably say to go do some research in our school books but... I don't know.

Harry

Aspen didn't bother to send Sue or Padma any letters, she was under the impression that their friendships with her were over. It was fine, there were no hard feelings. Sometimes people just grow out of each other, and there was nothing wrong with that.

The next phone call Aspen answered, it was Jasmine on the other end.

"Hey, funny story," she was saying. "You know that I haven't really been talking about Nott this past year, and that's because he wasn't bothering me, but I just received a letter from him."

"Oh, no," said Aspen. She was doing the dishes when her friend called. "What did he say this time?"

"He said... 'When we are on the Hogwarts Express in September, meet me by the lavatories at one o'clock.' Like what? He's telling me this in the middle of July! What a weirdo." She paused. "Should I do it?"

"I mean, you should at least bring a weapon if you do go." advised Aspen. "It's not like he would hurt you or anything. You can bring me as backup if you wish. Though, I seriously doubt anything bad will happen."

"Hm." She hummed. "I guess you can come along," breathed Jasmine. "Maybe we can finish him off once and for all."

"Oh, only if you ask nicely," joked Aspen.

Dear Aspen,

Sadly, my parents and I are not travelling anywhere this summer. I suppose I will just have to rely on my memories from last year in France.

I hope you are enjoying your holiday. I am rather bored sitting around here all day with nothing to do; I've taken to re-reading all of our books, even though I already know every word in them. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see if Mr. Weasley is able to get tickets for the Quidditch World Cup, then we'll have something to do!

Missing you,

Hermione Jean Granger

Aspen,

You'll never believe it, but Dad was able to get tickets for the whole family, plus you, Harry, Hermione, and Jasmine, it's a miracle! I suggest you invest in a pair of binoculars. Make sure to bring money, there will be lots to buy. Britain hasn't held the Cup in thirty years! Mum wrote a letter the Muggle way to Harry, trying to convince his aunt and uncle that we can take him and have him stay for the rest of the summer. We might've put too many stamps on the envelope...

Ron.