13. the writing on the wall

October arrived, spreading a damp chill over the grounds and into the castle. Madam Pomfrey, the school nurse, was kept busy by a sudden spate of colds among the staff and students. Her Pepperup worked instantly, though it left the drinker smoking at the ears for hours afterward. Ginny Weasley, who had been looking pale, was bullied into getting it by Percy. The smoke combined with her vibrant red hair gave the illusion her head was on fire.

     Raindrops the size of bullets battered against the castle windows for days on end; the lake rose, the flower beds turned into muddy streams, and Hagrid's pumpkins swelled to the size of garden sheds. Aspen and Jasmine had been visiting the kitchens more than ever.

     They were both excited for the Halloween feast. Considering the year before, there was a troll, it didn't feel very festive. But Aspen hoped that it would be different this time around. The food was delicious, as usual, and she was stuffed as they made their way back to the dorms.

     Only, she suddenly felt very sick when the crowd of students stopped walking and she heard a familiar voice call out, "Enemies of the Heir, beware! You'll be next, Mudbloods!"

     Aspen pushed her way to the front of the crowd, pulling Jasmine with her. She gasped when she saw the scene in front of her.

THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS HAS BEEN OPENED.

ENEMIES OF THE HEIR, BEWARE.

     There was a large puddle on the floor; Harry, Ron, and Hermione were standing in it, shocked. Mrs. Norris, Filch's cat, was hanging by her tail from the torch bracket. She was stiff as a board, her eyes wide and staring.

     "What's going on here? What's going on?" No doubt attracted to the problem by Malfoy's shout, Argus Filch came shouldering his way through the crowd. Then he saw Mrs. Norris and fell back, clutching his face in horror.

     "My cat! My cat! What happened to Mrs. Norris?" he shrieked.

     And his popping eyes fell on Harry.

     "You!" he screeched. "You! You've murdered my cat! You killed her! I'll kill you!"

     "Argus!" Dumbledore had arrived, followed by a number of other teachers. In seconds, he swept past Harry, Ron, and Hermione and detached Mrs. Norris from the torch bracket.

     "Come with me, Argus." he said to Filch. "You, too, Mr. Potter, Mr. Weasley, Miss Granger."

     Lockhart stepped forward eagerly.

     "My office is nearest, Headmaster - just upstairs - please, feel free-"

     "Thank you, Gilderoy." said Dumbledore.

     The crowd parted, letting them pass. As Hermione passed Aspen, the Ravenclaw sent her a questioning look, all she got in return was a confused shrug. Lockhart, looking excited and important, hurried after Dumbledore; so did Professors McGonagall and Snape.

     "Off to bed! Off to bed!" Professor Flitiwck waved the students away when they didn't move. Aspen gazed at the writing on the wall for a moment longer than she probably should have before walking in the direction of Ravenclaw Tower.

     For the next few days, the school could talk of nothing but the incident with Mrs. Norris. Filch kept it fresh in everyone's mind by pacing where the attack occurred. Aspen had seen him scrubbing the wall with numerous cleaning products, but the words were stubborn and stayed, gleaming brighter than ever against the stone. When Filch wasn't sulking in that specific corridor, he was lurking, lunging at students in an attempt to give them a detention for 'breathing too loud' or 'looking happy'.