seven

═════ ∘◦ ♥ ◦∘ ══════

vii. a hint of stevie nicks
═════ ∘◦ ♥ ◦∘ ══════

"Excuse me, Scott Clarke?" The men were scaring Olivia. She'd seen cops before but never in real life, never standing in front of her and her father with their impassive faces and stares that lied far beyond her father's eyes.

   "Yes, I'm Scott Clarke, is there something wrong, officer?" Olivia looked up. Scott's face had become a sheet of white, all color completely drained save for his dark brown irises. Even then, all they painted was a vision of worry. And fear. Olivia couldn't recall a time in her short existence where she'd seen that look in his eyes. It made her small hands shake as she clutched his pant leg harder.

   "Riley Clarke's husband?" the main officer kept his cool.

   "Yes, what is this all about? Is she alright? Did something happen to her?" The same questions swirled through Olivia's mind.

   "Normally, you'd get a call later," the officer's line of vision shifted downward, "You might want to put your daughter to bed, sir."

   That night was the first night she'd ever heard her father cry. Tucked away in her bed, she heard deep, gravelly voices accompanied by her father's. Their words were garbled by the walls, but she could hear the solemn nature of their tone. Fifteen minutes after they'd arrived, the front door closed. She almost didn't realize the choked sobs she was hearing were her father's. Olivia wanted to get out of bed, to hug her father, and tell him that whatever was wrong would be right soon. But she knew better.

   The questions her mind held never ceased, all flashing through her brain and keeping her awake as she listened to her father make phone calls. Her largest question, though, was when would her mom be home? Olivia was far too young to understand that she already was.

═════ ∘◦ ♥ ◦∘ ══════

"When I said 'friends stick together,' I was kind of hoping that we'd be sticking together in a place a little less...outside?" Vincent sighed, tugging at his soaking wet windbreaker. Sheets upon sheets of rain poured down on him as well as the four others stuck atop the mall's roof. The dark curtain of the night sky didn't help much either, seeing as they had to rely on the blurry, dimly lit lights of the loading dock just beyond them.

"Bring a raincoat next time!" Dustin spoke back pointedly.

"How was I supposed to know two sticks on a clock pointing to nine meant we had to watch some overly buff jackasses load shit out of trucks in the pouring rain?" His grumbles were met with a swift smack on the back of the head by Robin.