eight

═════ ∘◦ ♥ ◦∘ ══════

viii. mission child endangerment
═════ ∘◦ ♥ ◦∘ ══════

"So, what exactly are we looking at here?" Vincent eyed Robin carefully as she smoothed a large sheet of paper against the Scoop's break room table.

"This right here is Starcourt Mall." Her proud exclamation was emphasized with a large grin that stretched to each of her ears.

"Ah, that's awesome!" Vincent smiled, "Wait, why is it awesome?"

"Because," Robin's grin stretched even wider, "this is us," she pointed to a section of blue lines on the paper, "and this is where we want to be"

"Y'know, that's great and all, but there's no way to get there. See those lines? Those are walls. We can't walk through walls." Steve shook his head from his seat beside the table.

"Yes, but every room needs air, right?" Robin slid the paper from the table, revealing another copy of the blueprints. These, though, had detailed designs of the air ducts and how they connected. Skipping to the other side of the room, she plucked a red marker from the dry erase board and returned with a smile.

"See, it's a simple route, really." The red ink created a twisted line from one end of the paper to the other. The air duct right above them led them through a maze and into the enemy's den.

"Oh, okay, we're awesome again," Vince smiled.

"I don't know." Steve frowned, "The vent looks a little small."

"There's only one way to find out." Dustin sighed as he gazed up at the vent.

Through the sea of fake plants and metal tables, Olivia wiped off the main counter of Orange Julius. The lunchtime rush had finally come to a cease, meaning customers would be near and far for a few hours. She eyed the 'Sorry, We're Closed' sigh beneath the counter carefully. A dry laugh escaped her lips at the realization that the sign could've stopped Vincent's mishap from a few days ago.

Slender fingers approached the sign, gripping the flimsy plastic and placing it on the counter. This small action was something that made Olivia nervous; they didn't have to be closed. There were two Orange Julius employees nearby. Russians could invade the mall at any moment and her worries were focused on a job that paid $3.40 an hour.

   Before she could back out of it, she was off, making long strides across the food court towards Scoops Ahoy. There was a shake in her walk; jitters of excitement, of anxiousness, of fear. She hadn't even turned eighteen and she was already saving the world – again. A light chill and the scent of vanilla overtook her senses the moment she entered the ice cream shop. She made a beeline to the break room, pushing open the metal door like she had so many times before.