Epilogue

May 14th

1:02 AM

Screams were heard throughout the house as Gene took her last shot, and the adults enjoyed the rest of their drinks. "Zeek," sober Sam sighed. She and Nick decided not to drink as hard, to be able to take care of the kids in the morning. Sam hopped off the bar stool and headed to her bedroom where her son was supposed to be asleep. "What's wrong, buddy?" Sam asked, opening the door to see her son sitting up in the bed. The baby boy rubbed his excessively red eye. Sam turned on the lamp and dropped her upper body on the bed. "I think I'm ready to die. Like, take me now!" Sam frustratedly groaned. She sat up to see her son's right eye infested with pink eye. "Happy birthday to you, Zeekie," she whispered.

This poor baby had spent all of his life in a pandemic and on his first birthday he still can't catch a break. Sam pulled him out of the bed and grabbed his blanket. Now, she was going to have to spend the night washing all of she and Matt's things, since she had no idea how long his eye was like that. However, he was not like that when she put him to bed at 9.

Sam came out of the bedroom with her sweaty son on her hip. "Guys, we have a guest," Sam said, laying her son on the couch. "If I were you, I wouldn't touch him. I'm pretty sure his eye is still contagious," Sam said, handing Zeek his blanket. The one year old burst into tears, trying to get off the couch when Sam went to leave him. "Zeekie, stay on the couch!" Sam groaned. She needed him to be contained, because the less he touched the better.

2:47 AM

Sam sat at the kitchen table rocking her son to sleep, half asleep herself. There was nothing she could while she waited for her child's doctors office to open. This is what her life was reduced to. Sitting in the kitchen holding her child. Waiting for the sun to come up.

The End