yep. gay.

Crawling into the teetering canoe while Will stood knee deep in the lake, holding it slightly steadier than it would have been, was not as graceful or attractive as Nico might have hoped, but he managed to do it without incident. It couldn't have helped that he was antsy and shaking from the knowledge that this conversation would almost surely end in a broken friendship.

Will gave him a small smile while climbing in after him, as if he could read Nico's mind and was already trying to comfort him from the thought alone.

He steeled himself, ready to keep his composure even as the second stable thing he had ever had in his life fell crashing down, just as the first had.

"I know you've heard it hundreds of times already today, but happy birthday, Will." Nico said, trying to convey the beginnings of his apology through his tone and his words. It seemingly failed, he noted as Will grimaced, slightly.

"Thanks, Sunshine."

Nico nodded, opening the picnic basket as Will used the oar they had been given to take them further from the showers where they had entered the lake, and closer to the beach that held the fireworks display on the fourth of July. Nico had never stuck around long enough to see them.

It was quiet for a moment as they did this, Nico pulling out two plates, chocolate strawberries, freshly baked bread, and two cupcakes, Will watching, his face unreadable. They had also been given a match and a candle.

Nico's gift sat bulkily in his pocket, and he decided he might as well get it over with.

"I, um, I have a gift... for you."

"Oh, Nico, you didn't have to do that."

"Of course I did." He pulled it out, shaky hands distorting the black wrapping paper, dancing skeletons warping so it almost seemed like they were actually moving. Will grabbed it gently, and ceased its shaking. Nico's hands continued on their own.

"Love the wrapping." Will smiled, and Nico swore the sun reflecting off of his teeth could blind him.

"Yeah, well, I had to outdo your blue suns somehow."

"Consider this a point to you."

He opened it carefully, preserving the paper. Inside was a carefully stitched patch of a skeleton, holding a bow and arrow, and shooting towards the sun.

"I figured you could put it on your scrubs, or something. I don't know. But you gave me one that reminded you of us, so I, um, figured I'd return the favor."

Keeping his eyes down on the gift, Will whispered, "I love it."

Nico didn't respond.

It stayed silent, in the same tense way it had done so for over a week, for a few moments, before both demigods began to speak at once.

"Listen, Nico-"

"Will, I'm sorry-"

Will smiled shyly. "Go ahead."

Nico steeled himself with a deep breath. "Look, I get that things are weird between us, now, and I don't blame you if you're... disgusted with me, or anything, but Kayla and Mia both came over to tell me I'm being stupid, and you still want to be my friend, so I guess I'm just wondering... if they were right?"

"What?" Will's head shot up. He sounded horrified.

"Oh. Um. Okay. I guess I'll just... leave you alone, then. Once we get out of this canoe."

"Wait, wait, no, that's not what I meant. You thought I was disgusted with you?"

"Well.. I mean... yeah? We kissed and then you got all weird. I figured I had grossed you out, but you didn't want me to know that, so you kind of just... I don't know, pretended to get overly okay with it quickly. And I really am so sorry for taking advantage of you, and again, I do get it if you want to have nothing to do with me but-"