icarus always chose the sun

After the meeting, Nico tried to catch up with Will, but he needed to break the news to his campers, as did most of the other counselors.

The only campers left with nothing to do before curfew, Nico, Percy, Holly, Laurel, Jason, Pollux, and a few others who had no siblings or counselors to get back to, situated themselves silently in the amphitheater, around the dim light left over from the ashes and smoldering wood where the fire used to be. Sherman Yang had chosen to join them, allowing Clarisse to bask in her last few weeks as the head of Cabin 5.

Nico attempted to move out of people's way and allow the campers to converse without worrying about him.

Holly and Laurel had sat together, all the way at the top of the stairs. Laurel was leaning on Holly's shoulder, lips trembling. Silent tears fell from Holly's face, dripping down onto her bright yellow shirt, and her purple overalls. Nico couldn't help but stare slightly, in realization that it was a dress she was wearing, and a tight one at that. The same outfit she had been wearing whilst they were sparring earlier that day. He smiled slightly. The twins had only arrived a week before, the day after everything had gone to hell and back again. And Nico would know. Even so, they were amazing with swords, after years of both fencing and karate classes, private lessons, professional competitions. They didn't like to talk much about the string of events that had led them to camp half-blood, but Nico had a knack for being invisible enough to hear things.

He could also feel the death, lingering on their skin, in their hair, their clothes. He hadn't said anything. A monster had gotten their father, it seemed, and possibly a sibling, or a grandparent as well. If Nico had to guess, from the crushing weight he felt in the deathly aura around them, a Canadian had tracked them down. Somehow they had made their way to Long Island, to camp, likely with a promise that they would be safe, the people they loved would be safe, as long as they were there. And they had arrived to this promised safe haven, only to find it torn apart. Littered with bodies, of friends and enemies. Exploded in ash, Mother Earth's evil finger but a near miss. Probably not the most confidence-inducing scene.

Still, he found himself hoping against all odds that in the next few months the Victor twins would come to learn that the first tragedy was not the heart or soul of the camp. He had. It had taken a few years, an old ghost, the Styx, and 2 wars to realize, but he had.

Pollux was seated a few steps below them, 3 feet, maybe 4 away from Sherman Yang, who was fast asleep, his body tilted dangerously forward on the staircase, his chest being pierced slightly by the hilt of the sheathed sword around his waist. Pollux was looking up at the stars, leaning back on his arms, and breathing in the night air.

Pollux had lost his brother what felt like forever ago. In reality, it had only been 3 years. Nico felt wholeheartedly responsible for the death and destruction that year. He had been a sad, angry kid. He had helped Minos, and people had died because of it.

Jason and Percy sat closest to the charred wood and ash in place of a fire, leaning over each other, speaking in hushed tones. Percy had his hand clasped firmly on Jason's thigh, looking at him fiercely, and reassuring him as his glasses fogged slightly.

He stood, presumably to give Jason a moment to collect himself, and calm down. But instead of sitting back down, he began walking towards Nico.

"Hey, di Angelo." He said, smiling gently and sitting down. Nico noticed he had gotten a haircut at some point in the last week. Maybe even when Nico had been traveling with the Parthenos. He was glad that he hadn't noticed, Nico thought to himself, quietly, as Percy looked for the right words.

"I just wanted to tell your that I don't think any less of you, or anything." Percy started.

Yikes.

"Look, Jackson." Nico jumped in, his face contorting into a pity-filled grimace. Percy was struggling for words, and Nico had no time for the soft, gentle, bullshit. He would explain by telling it like it was, and then forgetting about it forever. He hesitated slightly as he attempted to create a metaphor that Percy could comprehend. "You remember my stupid obsession with that card game, right?"