6 : SIX

CHAPTER SIX

-

-

THAT NIGHT HAD BEEN QUIET. No one spoke unless spoken to, and even then the chatter was quiet.
Gally was the one to cross Ben's name off the wall.
Noah didn't eat that night, and she stayed away from everyone.
Eventually, she took a lantern and wandered the forest. She found herself being calmer in the woodsy place than with the many boys. Even if some of them were her friends.
So, she sat against a tree and watched the stars above her. That is, until she heard a twig snap. She shot up and looked around frantically for the source of the noise.
Newt stepped into her light and she relaxed.
"What are you doing here?" Noah asked him.
"Just came to check on you, are you okay?" He sat next to her.
"Yeah, fine." She sighed and rested her head on the tree.
"No, your not." Newt said.
"Then why ask?"
"To see if you would lie to me."
Noah glanced at him to see him staring right back at her.
"What happened today," Newt began as he looked to the stars. "We've done it many times before. Many of us have almost died."
"I'm glad you aren't." Noah whispered. Newt turned his head to her with a confused look.
"Oh come on, Newt." Noah chuckled. "You really haven't noticed?"

"Noticed what?" Newt asked as his eyebrows furrowed

Noah scoffed and stood up. She grabbed her lantern and walked away. Newt sat, confused for a moment before he got up and followed her.
"Noticed what?" He asked again. Noah just glanced at him and shook her head.

The two of them walked in silence for what felt like hours. When they came across a wall, however, Newt grabbed Noah's arm.
"What?" She asked him. He pulled her in front of him and pushed her back against the wall.
"Newt?" Noah said bewildered. Newt placed his open palm on the wall and leaned down to her height, which was only a few inches shorter than the blond.
"I know, what I'm supposed to be noticing." Newt said in a quiet voice.
"What?" Noah asked with a slight smile playing at her lips.
"You like me, yes?" Newt asked as he leaned closer to her face.
Noah chuckled. "Took you long enough."
"Oh, I've known. Just wasn't 100%." Newt teased. He was leaning in to kiss her, when another twig snapped. The two of them looked to the side to find Gally standing there with a awkward look.
"Sorry, uh, Alby needs you Newt." He said and walked off. Newt sighed and looked back to Noah.
"Guess we can chat another time, love." He said as he walked off too.