12 : TWELVE

CHAPTER TWELVE

-

-

GALLY HAD THROWN TERESA AND Thomas into the pit once he was up and moving. Minho, Chuck, Noah and Newt sat by the bars, waiting for him to wake up.
Teresa had put Thomas' head in her lap and was brushing his hair out of his face.
"Hey," Teresa called. Thomas looked up at her. "Are you okay?"
The boy nodded.
"What the hell were you thinking?" Chuck asked angered. Noah hit the back of his head lightly.
"Stop cussing." She told him. "But really, what the hell were you thinking?"
Teresa looked back and Thomas sat up.

"What happened?" Thomas asked as he glanced from Teresa to the others

"Gally's taken control." Newt explained. "He said we had a choice. Either join him or get banished at sundown with you." Thomas rolled his eyes.
"And the others agreed to that?" He asked as he stood.
"Gally has everyone convinced that you're the reason all this happened." Teresa told him.
"He's been right so far." Thomas nodded.
"What are you talking about?" Minho asked.
"This place," Thomas started. "It's not what we thought it was. It's not a prison; it's a test. It all started when we were kids. They'd give us these challenges. They were experimenting on us. And then people started disappearing. Every month, one after the other like clockwork."
"Sending them up into the maze?" Newt asked.
"Yeah, but not all of us." Thomas continued.
"What'd you mean?" Noah asked as her eyebrows furrowed.
"Guys, I'm one of them." Thomas confessed. Minho and Newt furrowed their eyebrows while Noah and Chuck stared shocked.
"The people who put you here, I worked with them." He continued. "I-I watched you guys for years." The teens that weren't being held captive looked away, deep in thought at his words. "The entire time you've been here, I-" Thomas cut himself off. "I was on the other side of it." He looked at Teresa who had her jaw dropped. "And so were you."
"What?" Teresa asked, tears welling in her eyes.
"Teresa, we did this to them." Thomas sighed.
Teresa shook her head, a few tears fell from her eyes. "No, that can't be true."
"It is." Thomas said. Newt rubbed his chin and Noah ran a hand through her hair.