「 Chapter 2 」

Madeline shifted her weight from one foot to another, feeling a bit uncomfortable under his overt gaze. Running back upstairs was a possible recourse, but she didn't want to seem rude to the guest.

"Hello," She greeted him, giving him a smile. His heart did a somersault; as if she wasn't pretty enough, she looked a million times more beautiful while smiling. He felt a strong desire to hold her tightly in his arms and never let go.

The Alpha's attention turned to her scent; indeed, she smelled wonderful, but there was something unusual about it. It was evident she was a different species.

"You're not a wolf," He remarked, narrowing his eyes at her. Her smile faltered. This was nothing new to her, werewolves always spoke to her condescendingly when they would find out she was a human. Of course, a strong Alpha would be no different.

Nathan felt Madeline's unease and spoke up: "Yes, she's a human. But she's been living here since she was a baby."

"Did you say she's your sister?" The Alpha said, turning his attention to him.

"Well, not biologically. My family adopted her."

"And you both live here alone?" The thought of his mate living alone with another male stirred up his jealousy, even if they considered each other siblings.

"After the death of our parents, yes." The Alpha pondered for a bit. He could not leave this girl here, she would have to somehow be brought to his Pack. Yet he also could not tell anyone that she was his mate, or his biggest secret would be revealed.

There was a moment of silence, before he continued. "She seems young and weak. You're going to leave her here by herself?"

Nathan scratched his neck, unsure of how to answer. Why did the Alpha seem to care so much about his sister? People always said he was cold-hearted and unsympathetic. Nathan found this very strange, but replied to the question anyway:

"I was a bit worried, but our other Pack members live nearby. They'll protect her from anything. Besides, we haven't had any attacks or danger in years. I think she's safe here-"

"Bring her with you."

Madeline and Nathan's eyes both widened at the Alpha's order.

"I... I can bring her?" Nathan smiled brightly at the idea of taking his sister with him.

Contrarily, a look of concern swept over Madeline's face. This place was all she had ever known; she lived here all her life. It took years to gain the trust and love of her Pack members, and if she moved, she would have to do it all again. Would another Pack even accept her? Mystic Moon was filled with powerful, aggressive wolves; a human could never fit in there.

Nathan frowned at her anxious expression. "Maddie? Don't you want to come with me?" She timidly shook her head, subconsciously taking a step back.

"I'll be okay here. Don't worry about me." She smiled at her brother, displaying her little cheek dimples.

Normally, Alpha Blade would be furious if somebody tried to disobey his orders, but for this girl, it was different. Her face held so much innocence and delicacy, he couldn't get angry at her even if he tried. "This must be what they mean when they say your mate is your weakness," He thought to himself. "I will not allow her to make me weak. Mate or not, nobody disobeys me. If she won't come herself, I'll take her by force."

"You will bring her," He told her brother, looking straight into his eyes. Nathan gulped; his gaze was so threatening, he couldn't decline. He wanted to ask why he wanted his sister to come so badly, but the word refused to come out his mouth.