「 Chapter 22 」

A ticklish sensation above his chest stirred him awake. Matthew sleepily opened his eyes, squinting at the sunlight that peered through the curtains. His mate laid on top of him, her face digging into his neck as she sniffed him rather aggressively.

"What are you doing?" His voice came out deep and husky, laced with sleep.

Madeline lifted her head to look at him. "Why do you smell so good? It's like you dipped yourself in chocolate. Mmmh..."

The corners of his lips curved upwards. "That is my scent. You can finally smell it now that you're a wolf." He reached up to grab her hands, sinking his fingers into spaces between hers. Her body melted at his touch while she stared at their interlocked hands in awe.

"Do you feel that too? It's like, tingling every time you touch me," She marvelled, giving his hands a small squeeze.

"I've been feeling this ever since we met." His arms travelled down to wrap around her waist, pulling her up to give him access to her neck. There stood his mark, right above her collarbone.

She was his, officially.

Leaning closer, Matthew began to leave a trail of kisses down her soft skin, before reaching her mark and softly sucking on it, his teeth lightly scoring the sensitive flesh. She stiffened as a burst of pleasure jolted up her body, a tiny moan involuntarily escaping her lips.

"Ah- Stop! That feels weird," She mewled, trying to wriggle out of his grip. He chuckled against her neck, his arms tightly secured around her.

"That's only because it's your first time feeling these things. You'll start to enjoy them soon. One day, I'll do things to you that will feel way better than this."

Although she was not sure what he meant, his words gave her a rush of excitement. The mere act of kissing him felt like heaven; she could not imagine anything that could be more pleasurable.

Madeline nuzzled closer to him, relishing the new sensation of the sparks. Now that she could feel the effects of the mate-bond, she did not know how she would ever be able to detach herself from him. "Can I stay with you today, please?"

"Of course, princess. I wanted to teach you a couple things about direwolves now that you've turned into one."

——————————

"... In order to preserve the nearly-extinct species, enhanced abilities and powers were granted to the direwolves by the Moon Goddess."

Madeline was sitting on her mate's lap while he read a book out loud to her.

"Is it bad that I don't really know what the Moon Goddess is?"

He looked at her, with disbelief apparent in his eyes. "You have lived with werewolves your entire life, and you don't know who she is?"

"I know that wolves pray to her and stuff, but at my old Pack, when I'd try to learn about her or pray with them, the other werewolves wouldn't let me. They said she didn't love me because I'm a human."

"You were a human," Matthew corrected. "And that's not true, don't listen to what they said."

"Hmm... You're right. Surely she must love me, because she gave me the best mate in the world." Madeline looked up at him, smiling adorably. His heart melted for the millionth time that day, unable to stop himself from smiling as well.

"You're too cute, my doll." He leaned down, pressing a tender kiss to her forehead. "Speaking of your old Pack, I have some work to do there this evening. Would you like to come with me?"