Part 4- The letter

Winstons POV

My heartbeat rose as I picked up the letter from the counter, studying it closely. It was very small, yet so perfected, not even one mark or scratch was visible on it at all. Causing a small smile to form on my face. In a way I felt very impressed at how neat this letter was, and maybe that this could be an important letter which is why whoever wrote it kept it so neat? But why? Part of me is excited to read this letter, to finally get a look at what could be inside. But the other part of me is nervous. You may be asking... how could a small letter like this make me nervous? Well I mean, the thing about letters is that there could be anything inside good or bad. I'm just hoping there's nothing bad going on because I haven't received a letter in such a long time. I turned the letter around to examine the back. My address was written on it, along with my full name, but there was still no information on who sent this to me.

I left the kitchen taking long strides back to the living room, where I then plopped myself onto the couch with the letter in my hand. It was beginning to get dark outside and the light stopped shinning through the windows. So in that case, I turned on the tall lamp that sat next to the couch, giving me a better view of the card.

I brushed a couple strands of my curly black hair out of my face before bringing my hand back to the top of the envelope, where I soon began to open it up. I ripped open the envelope and removed the card from inside. But for a moment I paused, thinking about the possibilities of what this letter could be as my stomach slowly started to twist. You know what? Shut up brain I have no time to loose. Why the hell am I so nervous to look at this letter, it's just a letter Winston come on pull yourself together please.

Slowly I opened up the letter, peaking inside. What?...

...

There's nothing here?

Confusion began to take over me. Why was there nothing in the letter? It was just a blank piece of paper. What a waist of my time, this must have been some god damn prank. I stood up from my couch and walked back over to the kitchen. I reached the recycling bin and threw the envelope in it with the letter. I seriously just freaked out over this for nothing!

But before I could walk away... something caught my eye.

I turned back and looked into the bin, at the letter, and noticing small writing on the back of it. I quickly picked up the letter again and ran back to the couch, flipping the letter over and examining the back. And I was right, there was writing on the back, but the problem is that it's extremely small. So I'm assuming the whoever wrote this didn't exactly want me to see this, but in a way they did? This doesn't make any sense to me. Who the hell writes on the back of a letter with like ant sized writing, and expecting me to see this? God I almost recycled this thing because of that, so thank god I noticed the small writing.

I tried to look at the the writing as close as I could, but it was pretty hard on my eyes. I was thinking of giving up for a moment but it wasn't long before my eyes started to slowly adjust to the small writing. And the words became more clear to me then before. And soon enough, an idea popped up into my brain.

I got up from the couch, ran up the stairs and into my room. I snatched a piece of paper and a pencil from my desk and ran back downstairs and into the living room. My plan is to write this all down but in bigger writing, just so it won't be so hard on my eyes anymore. I sat down on the couch and picked up the letter. Word by word, I slowly wrote each of them down onto the piece of paper as carefully as I could. I was growing more impatient by each little sentence I put together, I could barely wait any longer to see what it says.

20 minutes later

My eyes hurt. But at least I finally can full on read what it says without my eyes hurting. I mean I basically did read it already from copying words down but in a way I still didn't only because I was to focused on copying down everything. But now I will read it for real. My eyes moved back to the paper where I wrote everything down, and I started to read.

Dear Winston,

You may not have a clue who is writing you this letter, and you probably have no clue who I am as a person. Let me tell you a little bit about myself. In the past I've had some hard times, including my home life and times in school. My life was a disaster and I've done things unforgivable, but there was one thing that happened that changed my life forever. I met a boy by chance, and just for one moment, I was happy. Not long later he became my boyfriend and he helped me a lot through out my life. But anyways, to the point. I'm a fan of your photography skills, I noticed your Facebook account and I couldn't help to notice how talented you are! Forgive me for writing extremely small, but if you are reading this at the moment, I want to meet up with you. My boyfriend and I are so incredibly inspired by your work, we want you to do a photo shoot with us for our anniversary. You can come or you don't have to, but on the 27th of June at 1am we want to meet you on Venice beach in LA. Like I said, you don't have to meet up with us but it would mean a lot for us to be able to view your work? I hope to see you there! Wishing you the best Winston.

-Montgomery de la Cruz

My heart dropped. I brought my hand up to my eyes and rubbed them for a few seconds before re-reading the name.

-LMCD

...

I'm definitely going insane.

After re-reading the letter a few times, it seems normal, but the fact that this guy wants me to MEET UP with him is a little confusing to me. Like I never knew that I had actual fans of my account on Facebook? Is this guy following me on Facebook?? Should I try to find out who he is??? Should I even meet up with him???? I'm so confused right now, and what are those initials at the end? I don't know anybody by those initials. But I mean stupid me, these people live all the way over in LA of course I don't know them.

Something I did notice while reading this letter, was when this guy was describing somethings about himself I noticed how similar his story was compared to Monty's. It was almost completely identical! Their stories were similar, but just with... different endings you can say.

If I really think about it, I could meet up with these guys. It would be a fun adventure you know? But something about this person seems a little off. Maybe if I do end up meeting with whoever this guy is, I could bring Diego with me for company? Speaking of Diego, I need to show him the letter tomorrow to see what he thinks about it, and I should probably get some sleep.

I sat up to turn off the lamp, grabbed the letter and ran back upstairs into my room. Once I reached my room I placed the letter on my desk before collapsing onto my bed, sighing loudly. I turned slightly over to get comfortable, before falling asleep right there and then. Before falling asleep, I starred at the letter. Something about it seemed so off. A little part in the back of my brain wanted to know who was behind this letter just to be safe, but the rest was telling me that I shouldn't worry about anything and that this is just a normal person. But no, no. Something up, I can feel it. I need to stop overthinking and get to sleep, I will sort this all out in the morning.

And that's exactly what I did, I fell asleep. But little did I know that my sleep came with a price of having one of the worst nightmares I've had in years.

AN: So I've been thinking and I think that for most moments of the story, Winston will have a similar condition to Clay Jensen where he will hallucinate and start to have nightmares. Just not as bad I'll say :). But still bad. I was thinking of doing a straight up letter that just said the time and place to meet up with no explanation but part of me thought that it wouldn't really make much sense... sooo in that case I feel a little glad I made it a little bit more interesting and convincing. Who's the one behind that letter? What will Winstons nightmare be? Many questions to be answered indeed! 😳🤔