chapter nineteen

"From the second I was born it seemed I had a loaded gun." -Imagine Dragons, Shots

THE WAIT IN THE HOSPITAL ROOM is agonizing. I feel like every nerve in my body is electrified, rising in volume of intensity every time the door opens, just to fall again when no one approaches Jas and I. A couple of other people are in waiting room, too. Mr. Wilson is sitting on a chair across from us, eyes focused on the ground, looking unfocused and unaware. I'm pretty sure he's in a damn deep shock, which he has every right to be. First his wife, then his son, and now his daughter.

Lucas is there too, pacing the waiting room anxiously, a worried look plastered onto his face. Anyone else who wanted to wait was not-very-politely asked to leave by Mr. Wilson. I'm more than surprised that he had allowed me to stay- maybe it was because of our earlier encounter at his house, but even after that, I had assumed he wasn't too fond of me. I guess not.

Jas shifts beside me on her uncomfortable chair, sighing. She leans her elbows on her legs, burying her hands in her hair on either side of her head. Shaking her head, she mutters to me, "This never should have happened. This isn't a coincidence."

I've never seen Jas look so undone. Even in her lowest moments, she has made a point of looking her best. But now, her hair is knotty and her curls are unrecognizable, her makeup is smudged and her clothes are wrinkled from her longs nails digging into them. I know why, though. Because she's right.

"I know," I mutter back quietly, threading my fingers together, trying to keep them from shaking. "Someone cut her brakes. They... They had to know Ford came back at one point."

"Or maybe they didn't," I whisper lowly. "Maybe they just knew we were involved, and he had made contact with us."

"Either way," Jas sighs, her eyes dark, "They know we're part of it."

Just then, James appears in the doorway. Jas jumps up from her seat, her demeanour changing in an instant to one of pure relief, throwing her arms around James as he hugs her back tightly. My eyes skip to Mr. Wilson, who merely glances up and then casts his eyes back down, not bothering to tell James to go.

"I brought you a muffin," James smiles, handing Jas a brown bag. She takes it from her hands, peeking inside and rolling her eyes, kissing his cheek.

"You're amazing," she claims.

"I know," James replies with a laugh. His smile dies a little when he turns to me, his face changing to one of concern as his eyes flicker between his girlfriend and I. "Are you guys okay? You both seemed really shaken up at school. I thought I'd come by to check on you."

"I love you to death," Jas says. "I'm okay. It was just a shock."

James turns to look at me, and I just nod.

"Okay," James says. He changes the subjects. "Have the doctors said anything?"

"She finished her surgery a couple of hours ago," I tell him, gaining his full attention. "She's unconscious right now, but she's going to live."

"Thank God," he exhales the breath he was obviously holding. "How bad was it?"

"Internal bleeding," Jas supplies. "Broken leg. Serious cuts."

James shakes his head, looking mortified. "God. That's insane."

"Tell me about it," I mutter.

James' eyes flicker to me. I know I'm being rude, but I can't help it. I'm angry. I'm angry at myself for not being able to keep Ford and our secrets hidden well enough. I'm angry at Jas for telling me about Molly and ruining my day with a simple sentence. I'm angry at the person who started this in the first place, who hurt Ford mentally, Molly physically and Mr. Wilson emotionally.